Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Question

Hi, new to the green egg world and have messed around with it quite a bit now. Was able to fit a 24 Ib turkey in the large and followed the Mad Max recipe. It came out great. Also fried one and the Egg turkey was definetly the favorite. I'm cooking up some ABTs and was wondering what is meant when you say raised. Is that with the plate setter inverted? Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Raised above the gasket. If your don't have an extra grid go ps and some bricks. There are all kinds of grid extenders..Lowes, 13 inch weber grid with some bolts and nuts.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Awesome thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately I live on a small island in Alaska with no access to the big stores. Going to go Macgyver.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    jsmoto01 said:

Awesome thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately I live on a small island in Alaska with no access to the big stores. Going to go Macgyver.

The best way to go!

If you have 3 tin cans or beer cans, you can place them around the fire ring to get it up to the gasket level.

Welcome from the other side of the USA!
  • Thanks, got plenty of those. Will definitely try that out.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    @jsmoto01-Before you push MacGyver too hard, pound 3 beers and save the empty cans.  Balance them with 120* spacing on your fire ring and then place your cooking grid on them.  You are now "raised grid"-direct, straight shot from the grid to the burning lump but significantly elevated.   Indirect is the other main cook method and that means you have a heat deflector (generally plate setter or ceramic stone) between the cooking grid and the burning lump.  Regular direct is cooking with the grid on the top of the fire ring-straight shot to the coals.  Many food cooks greatly benefit from the raised direct style of cook.  FWIW-
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,082
    Crossed with @eggcelsior in the ether!  Slow typing on an adult beverage fueled Friday!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Great info on here. Thanks for the advice. The Egg is one of the coolest things I've purchased in a long time. Definitely worth the money.