Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Spatchcock: ok but not great

Options
Reading all the spatchcock hype on here, I was intrigued and I finally gave it a try. Results were ok but not terrific. I cooked it direct at 400 until the temp reached 180 in the thigh. Typically I do beer butt chicken and use a dry rub and a little EVOO, this time I used barbecue sauce instead.

My only issue was it turned out to be a little dry compared to my usual beer butt chicken. Does anyone have any pointers? Did I leave it on a little too long? 175 hot enough? Anyone cook it indirect with better results?

I don't typically use a meat thermometer for much of anything except prime rib.

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

Comments

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    Make sure you raise the grid. I usually cook to 160 in the breast.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'll be asked to leave the forum after saying this but I'd rather cook mine Vertically. I usually do two at a time. ...no raised grid, no baking soda or time in the fridge to crisp the skin. It's not hard to butterfly one but it takes time. That being said, try one again.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    As @jls9595 mentions, this cook is best done raised grid direct-gets the cooking grid up to at least the gasket line.  You can use fire bricks or some bolts and nuts and a second grid to achieve the raised effect before spending big $$ on after-market toys.  Others will cook spatchcock chix indirect at around 350*F to 160 or so in the breasts and 180+ in the thighs.  Time to give it another go...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    +1 raised. I actually usually do indirect for most of the cook and finish raised direct to crisp up the skin.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    CPARKTX said:
    +1 raised. I actually usually do indirect for most of the cook and finish raised direct to crisp up the skin.
    So is that skin side down or up for the direct part?

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

For me, spatchcocked cooks more evenly and is quicker than beer-in-the-but. I do mine raised indirect as I find I'm always dealing with a fat fire if I don't. A 4-5lb bird will cook VERY quickly - seems to be right on an hour and the breasts will be 160.

Don't pass up the opportunity to put a foil pan underneath the chicken with some potatoes and veggies. Put your ceramic feat underneath the pan to keep things from scorching. The veggies are killer.

Finally, not to sound like a broken record, but get a good quick read thermometer. I only do guess work when I've had too much to drink.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'll be asked to leave the forum after saying this but I'd rather cook mine Vertically. I usually do two at a time. ...no raised grid, no baking soda or time in the fridge to crisp the skin. It's not hard to butterfly one but it takes time. That being said, try one again.
    Please leave the forum.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    edited December 2013
    Options
    only one thing can make it dry (IMO) and that is overcooked. I cook at 400 direct and raised (and I cook a lot of moist turkeys).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Mickey said:
    henapple said:
    Please leave the forum.

No you go spatchcock man! You are outa here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TTUEgghead
    Options
    Thanks for the great pointers. I have a small raised grid that I might use next time, not sure if it's quite big enough for a spatchcock bird but if not I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new gadget for my egg....

I do have a good quick read thermometer but don't use it much.

I did get a nice even cook as many have mentioned, I think I just left it on a bit too long. The beer butt chicken method seems a bit more forgiving in that regard at least.

XL BGE, egghead since 2010

Favorites: Beer Butt Chicken, Paella, ABT's, Prime Rib

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    A Thermapen is highly recommended...I think most members here have one and it has certainly removed a lot of errors in my cooking...
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Little Steven
    Options

You may want to try the birds inverted on the stand. Cooks the dark meat at the higher dome temp and the breasts in the cooler area, just above the indirect piece.

photo 7724528e-65b2-4b10-8a30-d4e49045c751.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    henapple said:

Mickey said:
    henapple said:
    Please leave the forum.

Forget this. I'm with henapple.

At Salado, after Mickey is done flagellating us, henapple and I are going to roll out into the sunset on our way to "Bolivia" aka Little Steven's joint.

VI will relentlessly pursue for unknown reasons, stylizing himself after Joe LeFors; white skimmer and all.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You let Mickey flagellate you? He asked me and I said no way! Each to his own I guess.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Mickey
    Options
    Thanks for the great pointers. I have a small raised grid that I might use next time, not sure if it's quite big enough for a spatchcock bird but if not I'm always looking for an excuse to buy a new gadget for my egg.... I do have a good quick read thermometer but don't use it much. I did get a nice even cook as many have mentioned, I think I just left it on a bit too long. The beer butt chicken method seems a bit more forgiving in that regard at least.
    Raise the one you have. Use bricks

• Mickey
    Options
    henapple said:

Mickey said:
    henapple said:
    Please leave the forum.

Forget this. I'm with henapple.

At Salado, after Mickey is done flagellating us, henapple and I are going to roll out into the sunset on our way to "Bolivia" aka Little Steven's joint.

VI will relentlessly pursue for unknown reasons, stylizing himself after Joe LeFors; white skimmer and all.
    At the end just put on the White Album (with alittle help from steven) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRtAO-nffz0&feature=kp

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Only other is to check your thermometer. You may be cooking hotter than you think. I have never had a dry one and always go raised direct
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Did you use BBQ sauce the whole time?  Maybe that is part of the problem?  I usually just rub the chickens or do nothing and they come out juicer than another method of cooking chicken.

Garnerville, NY
  • Mickey
    Options
    When I put BBQ sauce I only do it the last 10 mins. Now this is chickens. image