Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

soup

Options
8 quarts of baked potato soup. Keeping everyone stocked up.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Did you save the skins for tater skins?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    That looks delicious.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    Options
    You been busy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    Get yourself a pressure canner and go save the extras for a snowy day or a quick reheat after work. I'm addicted to canning. Just did 7 quarts of beef stew last week.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @cortguitarman - what advantage do you find of canning over freezing? Is it texture, flavor?

We have used preserve jars for soup, kept very well but found the texture and flavor no different than freezing, so we usually go that way. Never tried canning stews. 

@henapple - nice looking soup, looks like the skins are still on. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Griffin said:

Did you save the skins for tater skins?

I leave the skins on. I bake the potatoes with the bacon on the raised rack to drip on the taters. How do you do your skins?

I foodsaver the soup and give most away. We eat ours fresh.
  • cortguitarman
    Options
    @skiddymarker the tastes aren't different. I'd say the advantage is that canned soups and stews don't take up room in the freezer, you make bigger batches in quart jars or smaller single serve batches in pint sized jars, and the biggest advantage is that they'll last longer -- up to a year. Things in the freezer that long will get freezer burned.

With that said, my stew that I made will need thickeners added when I make it. Right now it looks more like vegetable soup, which is fine too. Also, if I forget to take frozen soup out of the freezer to thaw it takes too long. With canned I can open it up, heat, and eat.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've never put any thought into it. I guess I've just always put a little olive oil and coarse sea salt on 'em, tossed them on the grill for a while to warm and get a bit toasty and then topped with some cheese and bacon and let them cook until the cheese melts. Pull off and top with green onions and sour cream on the side for those that want it. Not sure what temp and time I've done them at. 350-400 range seems like it might be right.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sorry Griffin....misunderstood the question. Never have.