Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Advice Needed.

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Having read the Prime Rib turned into Eye of Round post, I'm now feeling somewhat inspired to do prime rib tomorrow.  I have one in the freezer.  What is the best way to approach this hunk of beef?  I did some low and slows before on roast and although they were OK, they weren't fatty enough for that sort of cook.  But in this case, I'm wondering about a reverse sear style cook to get up to 120 or so and then blast the crust.  Probably just throw on a heavy salt/pepper rub.
Thoughts?
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    That's pretty much what I do and it turns out great.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I agree. I sometimes don't do and end sear if the colour is good. I go 250* indirect with a drip pan. You won't get a whole lot of drippings with this method.  I generally get some extra fat and cut the meat streaked pieces out, chop and throw in the drip pan. The meat is going to look more rare than it really is too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Check out Amazing Ribs. Use the cow crust rub, although I use a neutral oil, not EVOO to make the paste. It will stick to the roast during the low and slow and flavour the meat a bit before you blast off everything but the salt with the high temp sear. 
    I make the au jus in the crock pot, like LS says, not much dripping with a slow cooked rib roast. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    Check out Amazing Ribs. Use the cow crust rub, although I use a neutral oil, not EVOO to make the paste. It will stick to the roast during the low and slow and flavour the meat a bit before you blast off everything but the salt with the high temp sear. 
    I make the au jus in the crock pot, like LS says, not much dripping with a slow cooked rib roast. 
    +1

I used the same method but I wasn't fancy enough to make the au jus. 
    :)
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!