Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about the SmokeWare SS Vented Chimney Cap

Options
2»

Comments

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options

I think the secret is to orient the dmft so it pivots open to the front instead of the back...I was able to make it work but I still prefer the smokeware...There were times i would forget and wouldn't catch that it opened up until I saw a temp spike... one less variable now imo.

Even orienting as you said would cause it to close. Really frustrating.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Caymanite
    Caymanite Posts: 57
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I have a buildup of gunk on my SS cap and when I adjust the top, the bottom base spins which is very annoying. I tried scrubbing it with soap and degreaser but nothing seems to get the sticky stuff off. What are you guys using to clean yours? I also notice smoke coming out of mine when fully closed so I don't think it snuffs as good at the ceramic top....wish the vent openings were a little smaller in order to get more of a seal when fully closed.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    @Caymanite‌ I don't keep mine as clean as I should so i will let someone else weigh in on that piece...but as far as the other parts...When I close mine, I see very little leaking out and only for a short time...is yours coming out where the two pieces fit together or out the bottom? I put my gasket on the smokeware cap itself too and have no issues with it turning when opening and closing...where is your gasket?
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • Caymanite
    Options
    The smoke seems to be leaking from where the vents are. I have the original gasket that came with the egg on so I think I will install the one that came with the SS cap on the inside of the cap base like you have suggested. I just have to clean the cap so the top and bottom spin a little more freely.
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Cool...based on his video and comments @NPHuskerFL‌ seems to have a good method for keeping it clean...I'm sure he will let us in on his secret shortly...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Lol. @Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic‌ I find it easiest to clean it when it's hot because the smoke/grease is like a liquid and usually just hit it with a couple of damp paper towels with a little dawn or other degreaser (non caustic). Or you can soak it in non caustic degreaser and wipe clean. @Caymanite‌ if it's real caked on I spect you could use something like (see pic).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2014
    Options
    @Caymanite‌ (pic didn't attach). Here ya go. :)image
    I picked this up for my new SS table to make it purdy and shiny but, it would work on any SS. Purchased at Restaurant Depot.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Caymanite‌ for real tough stuff you may need elbow grease. It's found in the man section next to the brass balls :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mike_the_BBQ_Fanatic
    Options
    Lol...
  • Caymanite
    Options
    Ha ha! I'll have to try the cleaner as my elbow grease was not enough!
    Large BGE - Jupiter, FL