Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium platesetter on a large egg?

The only accessory I bought for my medium egg is the platesetter.  I just picked up a large egg from CL and plan on selling the medium.  How much is a large platesetter retail?  Can I somehow support the existing platesetter over the large firebox so I can continue using it--maybe just leave it on the grate?  I guess the smaller platesetter means I'll have to confine what I need to shield over the smaller space.  Or this could mean I could move the platesetter to the edge of the large and essentially have two zones.  I haven't tried this yet.  Large egg is still in the back of the car.

Thanks,
Paul

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,464
    Congrats on the CL large, sure you don't want to hang on to the medium as well?  Did you buy the medium new (think warranty)? 

I use my large platesetter, also pizza stone, in the XL some times and love the 'two zones'... when used in conjunction with my home grown XL lump reducing ring, I can get 'three zones', you get the idea. 
    canuckland
  • Why not sell the Medium platesetter with the Egg and buy the correct size?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Keep the medium.  If not, you'll be sorry.  Trust me on this.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    I'm with BOWHUNR - Keep the M if you can. I sold my M and I wish I had kept it. I was the perfect size for a lot of my cooks.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    edited December 2013
    The medium platesetter will work with the LBGE, although you have to sort of wedge it inside the fire ring.  A couple years ago, I bought a demo Large Egg from my local Eggfest and it came with a platesetter.  By mistake, they gave me a medium platesetter instead of a large one.  Not knowing, I used the medium platesetter on my new large egg for about 6 months before I realized that I had the wrong size!  My dealer quickly got me the right one, and they had been trying to figure out why they had leftover large platesetters after the eggfest.  Mystery solved!