Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Vegetable Soup

Okay, I was too lazy to crank up the grill, but WeberWho? got me in the mood for soup with the tasty buffalo chicken he posted yesterday. So I just cooked up a huge pot of vegetable soup on the stove and it was so good (and healthy), I wanted to share. Plus, the weather seems fitting, eh? 

This is only the second or third time I've ever made soup. Will definitely make this again. I'm on a low sodium diet and this has less than half a tsp of salt in the whole pot. I did add two tsp of Costco's Kirkland brand no salt seasoning (awesome stuff, btw!). This soup has no sat fat, no cholesterol and very little sodium. I know, it sounds awful, doesn't it?!  It's not. 

Basic recipe is below if anyone's interested. I made a few changes based on what was in the fridge and pantry. Mine even has a few thinly sliced Brussels sprouts! Homemade (no salt) chicken stock and a couple of small potatoes (cubed). Sooo good! 

:)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Did you just say eh? Soup looks good but I would dump in a half bottle of that shark sriracha you have.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Looks good. I just made beef stew and canned 6 quarts of it last night. You can't argue with a good bowl of soup on a cold winter night.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Did you just say eh? 
    It's a proprietary word now, eh?  8->

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Probably the most useful single tidbit I've learned from Cook's Illustrated was their discovery that Glutamates, and Nucleotides, each make a dish more savory but, together, they multiply each other's effect 30 times (according to them).
    I now add 2 tsps of porcini powder (a lifetime supply available at Amazon for <$20) and 2 tsps fish sauce to any soup, stew, bog or burgoo that I make.  And it seems my mouth is still watering when I finish a bowl.  Really made a difference in my cooking, give it a try!  
    And its still supposed to be in the single digits this weekend, may be a veggie soup for me too.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Carolina Q
    Botch said:
    Probably the most useful single tidbit I've learned from Cook's Illustrated was their discovery that Glutamates, and Nucleotides, each make a dish more savory but, together, they multiply each other's effect 30 times (according to them).
    I now add 2 tsps of porcini powder (a lifetime supply available at Amazon for <$20) and 2 tsps fish sauce to any soup, stew, bog or burgoo that I make.  And it seems my mouth is still watering when I finish a bowl.  Really made a difference in my cooking, give it a try!  
    And its still supposed to be in the single digits this weekend, may be a veggie soup for me too.  
    Thanks. Porcini powder is a possibility, but 2 tsp of fish sauce sounds like a LOT of sodium!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Botch said:

Not trying to derail this thread but would you mind sharing your "Goo" recipe? This one has beat me more than once.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @carolina_q, it's not that much in the whole pot. 2 tsp is about 1400 mg but it comes out to about 100 mg per serving.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Not trying to derail this thread but would you mind sharing your "Goo" recipe? This one has beat me more than once.
    I have a cookbook on my shelf called "Stews, Bogs & Burgoos", and it clicked in my head when I wrote my post.  Sorry, I'm not even sure what a damn Burgoo is!   :\">  Sounds like I need to pull that book off the shelf this Saturday and turn the TV off…. 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Carolina Q
    edited December 2013
    @carolina_q, it's not that much in the whole pot. 2 tsp is about 1400 mg but it comes out to about 100 mg per serving.
    I guess you're right. This low sodium, low sat fat thing is very new to me and it's taking some getting used to. To say the least!!

Still, fish sauce seems extreme! 
    :-S

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Botch said:
    I have a cookbook on my shelf called "Stews, Bogs & Burgoos", and it clicked in my head when I wrote my post.  Sorry, I'm not even sure what a damn Burgoo is!   :\">  Sounds like I need to pull that book off the shelf this Saturday and turn the TV off…. 

No big deal!! I have been told if you aren't making at least 20gals it won't come out right, I was hoping someone proved that wrong cause I love me some goo.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.