Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ATTN: Garlic Lovers

Options
2»

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Very lazy.... I just buy the bags of peeled and cleaned garlic at Wegmans and get on with my life
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I just whack with this  :D
    canuckland
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    cjham9985 said:
    Anyone roast whole heads of garlic on their egg? Wondering what the best set up would be for my new Christmas present. ....
    Slice the top off and place in foil.  wrap and place on hot egg 45 minutes or so around 300-350
    F. 

Same as I do, but I drizzle a bit of olive oil over it first.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    cjham9985 said:
    Anyone roast whole heads of garlic on their egg? Wondering what the best set up would be for my new Christmas present. ....
    A whole head of peeled garlic, with some salt and pepper, and olive oil wrapped in foil and baked on the BGE make a wonderful spread on french bread.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    hapster said:

Very lazy.... I just buy the bags of peeled and cleaned garlic at Wegmans and get on with my life

Wegmans. Gotta love em
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    @Botch; how do you make crushed garlic then, not minced; crushed?
    http://youtu.be/uoYYX_SpV7I

@cjham9985; I roast garlic whole, by first cutting off the top, wrapping in HD foil with a little EVOO, and put it on the Egg after a cook, as the grill is cooling down, right around the 300* range, close the lid, let the Egg cool completely.  It's done in about 45 minutes to an hour.  Squeeze the cloves out like popping a zit, put in a small jar, stuffed in, then add some EVOO and seal up and refrigerate.  Great addition to mashed taters.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    SORCERY!!! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited December 2013
    Options
    You think the shaker weight is good?  Maybe you need The Big Jim instead! 

http://youtu.be/rc337vb05jU
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    http://youtu.be/uoYYX_SpV7I

@cjham9985; I roast garlic whole, by first cutting off the top, wrapping in HD foil with a little EVOO, and put it on the Egg after a cook, as the grill is cooling down, right around the 300* range, close the lid, let the Egg cool completely.  It's done in about 45 minutes to an hour.  Squeeze the cloves out like popping a zit, put in a small jar, stuffed in, then add some EVOO and seal up and refrigerate.  Great addition to mashed taters.

You can use a garlic press. Invented just for that purpose.
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    A little EVOO in the "parcel" too.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Pinkfacemark
    Options
    My mom grew up in the Garlic capitol of the world.  I used to eat garlic ice cream and soda all the time as a little kid at the annual Garlic Festival. I am going to have to send her this video. 
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    My mom grew up in the Garlic capitol of the world.  I used to eat garlic ice cream and soda all the time as a little kid at the annual Garlic Festival. I am going to have to send her this video. 
    Gilroy? I remember seeing some show about that place where the winner gets some crown of garlic heads or something.

Vampires are never an issue. Neither are second dates.
  • Pinkfacemark
    Options
    Gilroy? I remember seeing some show about that place where the winner gets some crown of garlic heads or something.

Vampires are never an issue. Neither are second dates.
    Yep.  I haven't been for 20 years or so, but I remember loving it when I was 10. 
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    500 said:

What Eggcelsior said, I use a garlic press.  I could see using salt, a cutting board, and maybe the bowl of a spoon, but never the edge of my chef's knife!!!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Little Steven
    Options
    I saw it a few years ago. The one Doc saw. It does work but my wife had to perform CPR after I finished. I thought it might work better if you threw in some coarse salt

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    Options

I am a believer. @doc_eggerton your method saved me 1/2 hr of prep time. I am now making 2 pots of the Bob's secret spaghetti sauce.  Only egging the sausage links.

Milton, GA.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Let us not forget that RichardFL started this thread, I just added my comments.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    This was recently sent to me about how to peel whole garlic.

http://www.wimp.com/bestgarlic/

Richard Melbooooring Fl.
    been doing this for years.  Works better if you use the heel of you hand to open the garlic head.  Prevents you from getting stinky, sticky fingers, and works like a charm.  I use a large and smaller bowl that fit together.  You have to shake the crap out of them, and sometimes remove some of the debris and shake again to get all the cloves.
    If I have a lot of garlic to peel, I do this too.  For a couple pieces, I just flatten with a knife so I don't have to clean the bowls.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.