Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

San Antonio BBQ

Options
All, I have been reassigned to San Antonio for a short time on work I want to hit all the places in lockhart at some point but my question  to the experts/locals is where to get some great BBQ in San Antonio proper during the week when I don't have time to make the hour run north. 

any suggestions?

Comments

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited December 2013
    Options
    The BBQ joint in the pearl brewery complex was pretty good and pretty $$.  If you are going to be in SA for a while then you must go to Chris Madrid's for an over the top hamburger
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options

I went there either last year or the year before that.  Got some decent Que from County Line on the Riverwalk.  The tex mex is the true gem of San Antonio.  Got some good stuff at Acenar and Casa Rio. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    The Granary (good beer made in house by the pitmaster's brother)
    Two Brothers
    Augie's
    County line for beef ribs
    Rudy's if you like lean brisket (I do)

There are a few other small places depending on what part of town you are in...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    concentrate on Tex mex and mix in BBQ. San Antonio is a Mecca for tex mex........not bbq. I would eat at 20 places before i thought about bbq in SA
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Thanks foghorn...I could not remember the Granary.  
    Mkline if you are on the south side by the mission Nichas on Roosevelt is good Tex Mex food. 
    If you have a good good expense account Little Steak House on the Rhine is very $$$ and very good.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • thailandjohn
    Options
    It has been years since I was at this place but when I ate there, it was outstanding.......this is the real Texas BBQ, not a tourist place....when I was there, the pitmaster had been cooking there for 35 years on a real pit......if you do go there, please post your remarks here on the Forum http://www.yelp.com/biz_redir?url=http://www.thesmokehousebbqsa.com/&src_bizid=P-_KQtvXHfa3roC1v9v9hQ&cachebuster=1386387370&s=d5c7654c51c11ebca9703397240eff0d7c102fda520a83f9c05ddf1c0ea2c45a
  • TarHeelBBQ
    Options
    The Salt Lick is my favorite BBQ....Mi Tierra is my favorite tex Mex. I love San Antone. Consider yourself lucky you get to work there
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Only one place in SA: LawnRangers house (best I have found).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Mickey said:

Only one place in SA: LawnRangers house (best I have found).

:(
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    Options
    While I agree with Cen-Tex, I also disagree as a long term resident of San Antonio. I hate Mexican food...so I have found some BBQ spots that I very much enjoy when I'm not q'ing.

In town:
    The Smoke Shack
    www.congercatering.com

Barely out of town:
    Harmon's BBQ
    www.harmonsbbq.com

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    HTF can a Mexican dude in SA hate Mexican food? You ain't right.............You'll do just fine in Nashville :))

• cazzy
    Options

HTF can a Mexican dude in SA hate Mexican food? You ain't right.............You'll do just fine in Nashville :))

Dude I've been having it for 30 years...I'm just plain tired of it. I will eat if I have to but it's the last thing I'll ever eat if I have a say in it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:

Dude I've been having it for 30 years...I'm just plain tired of it. I will eat if I have to but it's the last thing I'll ever eat if I have a say in it.
    Fair enough. I could eat it breakfast lunch and dinner (and I do lot's of times).

• cazzy
    edited December 2013
    Options

cazzy said:

Fair enough. I could eat it breakfast lunch and dinner (and I do lot's of times).

I guess the problem is that there are only a few spots I would consider "good" Mexican food in San Antonio. It's the most overdone cuisine in town and most are really ****. If I was coerced into going, the only place I would go to is Taco Taco.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I like Taco Cabana.. probably because I only have it 3 times a year. I like Rudy's cream corn.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

I guess the problem is that there are only a few spots I would consider "good" Mexican food in San Antonio. It's the most overdone cuisine in town and most are really ****. If I was coerced into going, the only place I would go to is Taco Taco.

Yeah- there are way more bad than good- that's for sure. I guess it's that way everywhere. 3-4 gems in a heap of crap. Same way here
  • Mickey
    Options
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

My vote is Alamo Cafe
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Mickey said:
    cazzy said:
    cazzy said:

My vote is Alamo Cafe
    The Granary for BBQ is not too shabby.  Mi Tierra Café y Panadería for Mexican food.  There are many more.  San Antonio is awesome for food.

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • cazzy
    Options
    lakewade said:

Mickey said:

cazzy said:

cazzy said:

My vote is Alamo Cafe

The Granary for BBQ is not too shabby.  Mi Tierra Café y Panadería for Mexican food.  There are many more.  San Antonio is awesome for food.

I've heard good things about the granary but I could never endorse Mi Tierra. Downtown, Pico De Gallo is your best bet.

Alamo Cafe is better than them both but isn't close to Taco Taco (sorry @Mickey).
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    As a native Californian I must say the only thing I really hated about living in the Midwest (Madison, WI), was the utter dearth of good Mexican food. That having been said, one of the best Mexican meals I've ever had was at Xoco in Chicago.

Still, all things considered SoCal is a true Mecca for Mexican food! I'll take the real thing over Tex Mex.

I'm in the morning, noon, and night camp, good Mexican is beyond delicious!

Cheers
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Texansurf
    Options

The original Rudy's in Leon Springs. 15 minutes west of SA

The Saltlick in Dripping Springs 45 minutes north of SA

County Line, San Antonio

Grady's BBQ San Antonio

Bun N Barrell in San Antonio

BBQ Station in San Antonio

Tex Mex.

La Fogotas

Pico Degallo

Martha's 

La Polma Blanca 

La Tuna

Rosarrios

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Mickey
    Options
    Taco Taco will be tried on next SA trip.

• cazzy
    Options
    Mickey said:

Taco Taco will be tried on next SA trip.

My wife is from Beeville and said her first visit..."now this is the Mexican food I've been looking for in San Antonio".
  • MaskedMarvel
    Options
    Are La Fogata and La Margarita still down there?  I was born in San Antonio, but haven't eaten there in years.  
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    As recommended by others - Acenar and Pico de Gallo are excellent!  I think that Mi Tierra is horrible.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    For BBQ, can't believe no one said Two Bros. On West. Just around the corner from Jeff's Backyard, where I bought my Egg. Two Bros. made the Texas Monthly top 50. Excellent grindage. Not as good as Lockhart. Barbecue Station at 410 and Harry Wurzbach is good, as is Harmon's on Main Street in Cibolo.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options

@GQuiz is right about Two Bros... which is why I mentioned it about 20 posts ago.

Barbecue Station i also worth a stop. I haven't made it to Harmon's.

:)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• cazzy
    Options
    GQuiz said:
    For BBQ, can't believe no one said Two Bros. On West. Just around the corner from Jeff's Backyard, where I bought my Egg. Two Bros. made the Texas Monthly top 50. Excellent grindage. Not as good as Lockhart. Barbecue Station at 410 and Harry Wurzbach is good, as is Harmon's on Main Street in Cibolo.
    I've had Two Bros.  It was okay...the taste was good, as was the sauce, but I hated the way they trim their packers.  The layer of fat on every piece of point I got was about 1 inch thick.  

I still want to try it again to see if it was a fluke, but I was pretty disappointed my first visit.
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Sorry @Foghorn, read the post initially on a cell phone. Your post lost in the shuffle with all the Tex Mex talk. So if I were to weigh in, I would put in a plug for the breakfast tacos from Chachos. Had some a week ago and the clouds parted.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life