Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keep burning bottom of pizza...

Options

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Might want to get it higher in the egg
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Little Steven
    Options
    Can you eggsplain your set up Lucy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    Sorry-for some reason I can't post text on the website from my computer....
    Setup is direct on BGE stone with an extender on top of regular grate to get the pizza up in the dome. Should I go direct w/place setter?

Thanks.
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    You need two stones to prevent the high heat from burning the dough.Go high in the dome also.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited December 2013
    Options

First click the little gear icon in the upper right hand side of you browser while viewing this site, Then click "compatibility view settings". Now click "add" next to "add this web site". It should fix your browser issue.

Now for the pizza.

The best set up to avoid a burnt bottom is the use the plate setter and have the pizza stone raised in the dome. It will take a little longer to get your stone up to temperature like this but it should cure your burnt bottom problem.

Really you could just put the plate setter legs down and place the stone on top with some kind of spacer to create an air space between them. I use a set of ceramic feet but others use copper pipe fittings or aluminum foil balls.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Do the same but indirect with plate setter legs up, then pizza stone on the rack.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Little Steven
    Options
    Yeah you want an indirect piece under the pizza stone. Otherwise the radiant heat from the lump will heat the stone higher than the egg temp. It's important to space your indirect piece from the stone also or thermal conduction will do the same thing. Use copper plumbing tees, 3/4" nuts or the little green feet if your egg came with them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• dihtn
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions-both the pizza as well as the website!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Like LS says, setter legs up, grid, spacers on the grid then the stone. If you find the bottom still burns, shorten the time you preheat the stone. In my MBGE, with pies the way we like them, I catch my stone at 400-450ºF as measured with an IR thermo, about 15 minutes of preheat. The egg is at 500-550º.
    Find what works, and on the way there, change only one thing at a time. Good luck!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • dihtn
    Options
    Yeah you want an indirect piece under the pizza stone. Otherwise the radiant heat from the lump will heat the stone higher than the egg temp. It's important to space your indirect piece from the stone also or thermal conduction will do the same thing. Use copper plumbing tees, 3/4" nuts or the little green feet if your egg came with them.
    Does someone have a photo or can point me to a photo of what this setup would look like?
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Something else to try (in addition to the above) is wipe down the stone with a damp rag before you put the pizza on.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I do PS LD, grate, 3 fire bricks, pizza stone at ~650.
  • dihtn
    Options

Thank you all for your suggestions.  Did pizzas tonight-PS legs down, grate and extender to elevate the pizza.  No burnt crusts and the pizzas were super.  We used Trader Joe's dough we had purchased a few weeks ago and had frozen.  It was great.

Thanks again.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Options
    Don't try to cook the dough hotter than whatever the maker recommends.  Store bought dough is generally 400.  Higher in the dome is really much better.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• jenericzac
    Options
    I've always used the plate setter legs down with the pizza stone directly on top of the plate setter. Pizza's have always turned out well. Maybe I'll have to try with space between them.
  • laserdoc85
    Options
    OK I see some folks are doing PS legs up and some are doing them down?
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

Here's how I set up for pizza. image

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Legs down will tend to shorten gasket life if you cook at temps >500º. If you have a wood stove gasket like the one pictured above, it doesn't matter, if you use Nomex or OME BGE gaskets it will. 
    I've found I get more consistent cooks with legs up as the outside edge of the stone is not exposed to burning lump IR, the stone heats much better. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!