Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sunday Spare Rib Competition - Help Please

Smokin Joe
Smokin Joe Posts: 441
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Fellow Eggers, I'm doing my first spare rib competition this weekend - in my neighborhood. The event is Sunday at 5 PM and the taste testers (judges) are all novices - just a few folks from the neighborhood. There are also several eggers from the neighborhood entering (some frequent this forum) so I'm asking you all for some help. If possible please reply directly to my email so my buddies don't see your valuable input - can you tell I want to win this thing??? LOL [p]I usually do baby backs indirect at 230* dome. Season them with a classic BBQ rub/mustard thing and cook them about 4 hours with cherry wood, wrap in foil & put in a cooler with towels for an hour and then back on the egg direct at about 350* to 400* to give a little char/texture. I generally do not sauce in the final stage, but serve sauce on the side. Personally, I do not prefer the fall off the bone type of ribs, but like a tender, moist come off the bone with a little tug kind of rib.
So a few questions - how do I trim the spares? how does cooking spares differ from baby backs? how should I present them? should I sauce the ribs in the final phase? any tips or tricks I should be aware of?
I know there are several competition savy eggers out there and your insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks! Joe

Comments

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Smokin Joe,
    If you get a resipe that works for you, let me know. I just might do it at our neighborhood BBQ contest. Have to get me a smaller Egg though. [p]Spring "Time For A Rum'n Coke" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Smokin Joe
    Spring Chicken,
    I will do it! It's 5 o'clock somewhere... Great weekend to you & Spring Hen!!! Joe

• Smokin Joe,[p]I would sauce them if I were you. By putting any sauce on the side, you are not certain the judges will put any on. Plus, keep in mind who the judges are and whether they might like sweet or spicy. While you might like the ribs differently yourself, you are not doing the judging. If you are there to win, serve the ribs that you think the judges will like to eat. Keep in mind the type rib that most people get at restaurants as that is usually their basis for judging. I am not suggesting this in regards to tenderness since most are falling off the bone but more so to taste. Most restaurant ribs are sweet these days unless you get a restaurant who serves the ribs dry.[p]Best of luck to you.[p]John
  • Smokin Joe
    RibDog,
    Thanks for the good advice! Joe