Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New (near) Thermapen Disaster

Options
TexanOfTheNorth
TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
My sister, a fellow-egger who lives in Germany, bought me a new Thermapen; which she mailed to me last week while back in the States for Thanksgiving. It arrived on Tuesday and I used it for the first time last night doing some reverse sear filets.

I was very impressed with how quickly I was able to get the IT of the meat during the indirect portion of the cook. However, once the IT was approaching 50*(and looking like it was more than ready for the sear) I realized, that the thermapen was set for *C as opposed to *F. Not sure why it took me so long to clue into that fact as my initial temp readings, had they been in *F, would have indicated a piece of meat that was frozen solid!

Oh well, disaster averted. I'll have to adjust the dip switch for the temp setting as I am much more comfortable working with *F.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• shadowcaster
    Options
    haha I could just see the confusion on my face if I were in your shoes....light bulb!
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    @TOTN-nice save!  While you are toggling the thermopen you may consider eliminating the 0.1 degree accuracy.  Somehow, whole degree movement is more than enough for me.  YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Good save. As @lousubcap says, when using the F scale the tenths of degree is not that useful, when using the C scale, I'd leave it on. 

We have the same near disasters at our house. I use the C scale for the pocket 600B in the kitchen, SWMBO uses F. A couple of times she has caught herself measuring temps in C thinking they were F. 
    No issue with the Thermapen, it is always out by the grill house, and that's my turf. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    We have the same near disasters at our house. I use the C scale for the pocket 600B in the kitchen, SWMBO uses F. A couple of times she has caught herself measuring temps in C thinking they were F. 

Unless you're shooting for -40 that would be a problem.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.