Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thoughts on the new Thermoworks ChefAlarm and the older TW8060?

Options
Hoov
Hoov Posts: 264
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I'd like to pick up a new toy for Christmas and am considering two Thermoworks products: The new ChefAlarm and the older TW8060 dual-channel meter. I would just like any opinions on either device that may help sway me in one direction. I like the look, user interface, and timer on the ChefAlarm, but can't help but think that thermocouples would be faster and more accurate with the TW8060.

I already have a thermapen, but would like something simple for monitoring the progress of things like reverse sears, roasts, and low and slows. I have been doing well using the dome thermometer for cooker temps, is there much advantage to having a probe at grid level?

Thanks!
- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Have an 8060, great thermo, super accurate and the probes seem to last forever. Other than no wireless capability (tried the baby monitor route but didn't like it) it is superb. No experience with the Chef Alarm. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bettysnephew
    Options

Go with the TW8060.  The type K thermocouples are far more rugged than the ones with the miniature electronics plugs.  The type K are used in industrial applications and are readily and reasonably available on the internet.  I would spend the little extra $ and purchase the high temp kit as the probes are even more robust in that combo.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I personally dont think that having a grid temp probe is that helpful.  Most folks are referring to dome temp on the forum when describing their cooks,  etc.  If you must know the grid temp,  then measure it a few times to sort of calibrate  it with the dome temp i.e. grid temp is X° below dome temp if that works for you. A grid probe is obviously useful for monitoring the temp overnight though. I do like having a food probe since it minimizes opening the lid to check meat temp.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hoov
    Options
    @Skiddymarker which probes did you go with? Seems like there are a few different kits they offer. Also, are there any problems (does the unit show an error on screen?) with just using one probe if you feel like keeping it simple/don't particularly care about the grid temp?
    - Norman, OK
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    One of the big issues I have noticed, is that if you use the Adjustable Rig from the CGS, then the Dome temp probe must be removed and the clip placed on the outside.  I have found that this almost renders the probe unusable on any raised cook.  Without that probe fully through my dome, it won't register anywhere close to the correct temp.  On my turkey cook, my maverick followed the grid temp as well as the turkey, but I don't much like the reliability of it.  The dome has always been very accurate...until I moved the clip outside and shortened the penetration of the dome.  The point of this post...is that if you have the adjustable rig, then you really need a grid temp monitor...especially if you have anything large in the way, like dual racks of ribs or anything above felt level.
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Hoov
    Options
    txav8r said:

One of the big issues I have noticed, is that if you use the Adjustable Rig from the CGS, then the Dome temp probe must be removed and the clip placed on the outside.  I have found that this almost renders the probe unusable on any raised cook.  Without that probe fully through my dome, it won't register anywhere close to the correct temp.  On my turkey cook, my maverick followed the grid temp as well as the turkey, but I don't much like the reliability of it.  The dome has always been very accurate...until I moved the clip outside and shortened the penetration of the dome.  The point of this post...is that if you have the adjustable rig, then you really need a grid temp monitor...especially if you have anything large in the way, like dual racks of ribs or anything above felt level.

Interesting, thanks. I don't have the adjustable rig, but I'm sure I will eventually get it.
    - Norman, OK
  • Hoov
    Options
    caliking said:

I personally dont think that having a grid temp probe is that helpful.  Most folks are referring to dome temp on the forum when describing their cooks,  etc.  If you must know the grid temp,  then measure it a few times to sort of calibrate  it with the dome temp i.e. grid temp is X° below dome temp if that works for you. A grid probe is obviously useful for monitoring the temp overnight though. I do like having a food probe since it minimizes opening the lid to check meat temp.  

I was thinking the same. I think a grid probe would be more useful if the unit had remote monitoring.
    - Norman, OK
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    K type probes, used for grid temp mostly, when I am in the yard near the egg. Had it about three years. Once the weather turns, the Mav gets used the most, the remote capability if built into the 8060 would make it the most popular thermo on the market - Thermoworks does listen, albeit slowly, they at least now have a backlit Thermapen - a wireless 8060 would be ideal. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Hoov
    Options
    Yeah, it's too bad the bluetherm duo lacks in the range department
    - Norman, OK
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    For those of you that have the 8060 with the thicker high temp probes, doesn't that prevent you from completely shutting the lid on your egg? Seems like it would leave an significant air gap.
    Dave - Austin, TX