Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Something different this time. Give me some input please

Options
I cleaned out the egg completely and filled it up with BGE lump as usual. I am about an hour into an all night 3 butt cook. I lit a small fire just forward of center. It's taking a little longer than usual to stabilize. The thing that I'm most concerned about is that the front of the lower portion of the egg is pretty hot while the sides and back are not. I am afraid that my fire is migrating to the front and will not burn long enough for the cook to complete. The heat could also be quite uneven in the dome. How concerned should I be?

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Not at all... Keep an airflow
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Options
    Just relax and let the fire burn all will be well !!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You have a heat source and an egg shaped cooker. Doesn't really matter where the fire is. With that said, for an overnight I normally light in three spots. About 20 seconds per spot with a map torch.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Keefer
    Keefer Posts: 120
    Options
    Thanks guy! I feel better already.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As mentioned, the BGE is all about air-flow to control the fire volume.  You can have a lump load thru the fire ring but the air intake and exhaust will throttle the amount of burning lump and thus the temperature on the calibrated dome thermo.  Doesn't matter which part of the lump real estate is burning-just the chamber/cooking temp.  Enjoy!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.