Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Keeping it up! (temperature, that is...)

Options
Twice, I've tried to cook approx a 10 lb turkey, with the same problem each time.  

Figured about 2 1/2 hrs at 325.  Used the platesetter, the upright ceramic turkey holder full of beer, and a drip pan underneath.   Got the temp adjusted just right, but each time, after about 1 1/2 hrs,  the heat started going down, down, down.  Kept opening up the vents more and more, but temp kept going down anyway.  The first time, I discovered that I hadn't used enough charcoal, so finished the bird in the oven.  But today, I tried again, but with alot more charcoal.  Filled it to about 2 - 3 inches above the air holes.   Used some nice big chunks, figuring they'd last longer.  But I still lost the heat at about the 1 1/2 hour mark.  So again, it's in the oven.  (I just opened the Egg up and there's still charcoal burning, but can't get it even to 300 with the vents wide open.)
Does anyone have any advice on keeping the temp at about 325 for an extended period, like about  2 1/2 hrs?

Thanks in advance.  Hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving!!

WW

Comments