Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

stuffing in Turkey

I don't use any smoking wood other than the lump.
Will the stuffing be ok inside the Turkey?
When using the oven we cooked the Turkey with half of stuffing in Turkey and other half in Pyrex
Mad max Turkey has lemon onion butter and wine in cavity kind of want to put stuffing in Turkey but rest of family is not into too much smoke taste

Any opinions?

Thanks.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

Comments

• Cook to temp. Make sure the stuffing gets to 160 and you'll be fine.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I would not stuff a turkey.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    By the time the stuffing gets to 160°F you run the risk of overcooking the rest of the bird. if you don't overcook the bird, you run the risk of undercooking the stuffing, and the subsequent health risks.

I heard of a tip recently (either Alton Brown or Cook's Illustrated) that recommended cooking the stuffing by itself to a certain temp, then putting it in the bird. personally, i like to cook the stuffing in a muffin pan, so that everyone gets some stuffing with a nice crust on it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • If the stuffing isn't up to temp when the turkey is done, you can remove it and finish it in the oven or zap it in the microwave while the bird is resting.