Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone have a favorite way to make pork steaks?

Options
minniemoh
minniemoh Posts: 2,145
I just picked up a whole hog from the locker and I made some mistakes when I ordered the cutting. I meant to order pork shoulder whole but they cut a bunch of it into pork steaks because I misunderstood. For those that haven't had this cut, it's basically slices of the shoulder about 1/2 in. thick.

They also cut the remaining shoulders into 3 lb pork roasts. I plan on tying them together and doing those like a whole shoulder. My chops came out perfect at 1 1/4 inches. I also had them make the bacon - I hadn't discovered the bacon threads on here until I had it ordered or I would have made my own. 

All advice appreciated...
L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
eggAddict from MN!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Just cook them slow direct. Salt and pepper. A MO fav!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Thanks for the advice @Little Steven.

I used to live in MO and that's the only place I've ever had them. I used to coach HS football down there and the coaches would get together on Thurs nights to paint the field before Friday's game. One of the guys would man the old charcoal grill and make pork steaks while the rest of us painted the field. When we were done painting, we would grab a couple slices of white bread, some bbq sauce, and a pork steak and make a sandwich. Sometimes I miss those simple times...

I just don't think my family wants to eat 20 lbs of pork steak sandwiches!

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    sous vide

Beaufort, SC
  • Little Steven
    Options
    My Mom used to do a Polynesian pork stew with shoulder. Green and red peppers, onions, celery thai chili sauce, pineapple chunks, soy sauce, chicken stock and canned tomatoes. It was really good over rice

Steve 

Caledon, ON