Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First "real" snowfall

Options
We had our first "real" snowfall last night; with an accumulation of about 2 in. Had to get the shovel out and clear the driveway before bed.

That didn't stop me from doing some wings on the egg. Threw a few hot links (made last month) on as well and warmed up some tamales (made from recent pulled pork leftovers) to go with the wings. Used tater tots to fill out the plate. All-in-all, a delicious meal.

I'm making some chicken and andouille sausage gumbo for dinner tonight but will probably do that in the kitchen so that I can keep an eye on today's football games.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Took a little bit of "home" with you up to the Arctic, eh?  Looks really good TOTN.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• cortguitarman
    Options
    Had some flurries here in PA. I was pissed. I hate snow
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Had some flurries here in PA. I was pissed. I hate snow

Sucks to be you! ;)

I just put the turkey on my dad's XL amongst flurries. I can't wait for the white stuff!
  • Loosemoose
    Options
    We had about a half inch yesterday evening. Wrecks everywhere!
    We get snow every year but people forget how to drive in it between spring and fall. The first snow is always a mess!
    FOR THE RECORD IF I EVER SEE SNOW AGAIN IT WOULD BE TOO SOON!!
    And no I did not wreck my car yesterday.
    Nowhere Indiana
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    It was worse down here London way.  401 was a mess, closed for a while since everyone forgets how to drive over the summer.  Nice to see you didn't let it stop you from Egging, clearly this is what separates the men from the boys so to speak...
    But, like you I shall struggle on valiantly against the ravages of winter and will be doing a bacon weave meatloaf tonight on the Egg.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Flint is directly west of London and we didn't get anything.  Very cold here today.  We're staying indoors watching football.  Spaghetti using yesterday's pulled pork is on tap for supper.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Options

Winds from the Northwest, Lake Huron still warm...lake effect

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    We got same amount of white stuff of course!  Nice cook and love the streak effect of the white stuff, was it in auto mode or did you play with the shutter speed?

Just started brining a small turkey for smoking on Tuesday.  First time brining, partially followed Charcuterie's recipe but cut down on salt, we're not big on salt so I hope it doesn't mess up the ratio too much.

Time to brush off the white stuff ;(
    canuckland
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options

Winds from the Northwest, Lake Huron still warm...lake effect

That would splain it.  Ya'll live on the wrong side of the lake.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Little Steven
    Options
    In the winter  Fred, in the winter. :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    @Cannugghead, I just took that pic with my iPhone. The wind was pretty stiff last night and swirling around a lot; thus, the streaking snow.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    We got some white stuff yesterday too forcing me to shovel my deck for the first time.  It has now turned bitterly cold.  Taking the wind chill into account, it is minus 16C -- perfect day for putting up the Christmas decorations!

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Glad I put my lights up a few weeks ago when it was 60
  • Little Steven
    Options
    We got some white stuff yesterday too forcing me to shovel my deck for the first time.  It has now turned bitterly cold.  Taking the wind chill into account, it is minus 16C -- perfect day for putting up the Christmas decorations!

Tom
    Think about those poor guys in Regina

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We got same amount of white stuff of course!  Nice cook and love the streak effect of the white stuff, was it in auto mode or did you play with the shutter speed?

Just started brining a small turkey for smoking on Tuesday.  First time brining, partially followed Charcuterie's recipe but cut down on salt, we're not big on salt so I hope it doesn't mess up the ratio too much.

the salt is critical to getting the benefits you want from brining so you should follow the brine recipe to the letter. If you don't like salt, you can soak in cold water after the brine and it will desalinate the meat. Salt molecules are what carry the moisture from the water and the other flavors in your brine in to the meat.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Options

the salt is critical to getting the benefits you want from brining so you should follow the brine recipe to the letter. If you don't like salt, you can soak in cold water after the brine and it will desalinate the meat. Salt molecules are what carry the moisture from the water and the other flavors in your brine in to the meat.
    Where is Nola if we're gettin' all scientific like?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Where is Nola if we're gettin' all scientific like?

Exactly. Flavors beside salt remain on the surface of the meat since they are too large to move through membranes. Because science.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Actually I cut down the salt somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 cup.  After the 24 hr brine today, I soaked it for 1/2 hr it's now air drying in the fridge for tomorrow's cook. Looking forward to the result, doing it mad max way.
    canuckland
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    We woke to this yesterday and it kept snowing till mid afternoon.  Decided not to put the turkey breast on the egg, I guess I am a wimp.

Gerhard