Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-tip in Lancaster, PA area

There was a lot of discussion a few weeks ago about being able to buy Tri Tip outside of California.  I like Tri Tip and decided to see if I could locate some in the Lancaster, PA area.

I was finally successful at Shady Maple Market.  I contacted the meat manager and he looked into it.  He agreed to buy a case from their supplier and let me take what I'd like and then sell the rest as Tri Tips (if there was a demand) or cut them into steaks.  His case consisted of 4 cryovac packages with 6 Tri Tips in each.  He had quoted me a price of $5.09 per pound for the USDA Choice (untrimmed) cuts.  I decided to take 2 of the packages (12 Tri Tips total) and he lowered the price to $4.59 per pound.

I asked about how others could get some and he would be happy to order for anyone.  Just give him a call and let him know what you want.  His name is Bob Zdradzinski at 800-238-7363 extension 657 or [email protected]  The web page for the market is: http://www.shady-maple.com/farm-market/

I also was called back by the meat manager at Stauffers market in our area and they also have some for me for $5.99 per pound. I'll be picking these up in a few days.  These may be trimmed and worth the extra cost.

I checked with Costco also but they have ordered them in the past and couldn't sell them so they won't order any more.

I'll be cooking one tonight for dinner.
Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• Good to know. Ive seen them all over this forum and have wanted to try. I'm about 1.5 hrs away but may make a day trip to beautiful Lancaster to get some.
    LBGE, Weber Performer. Located in Franklin County Pa.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Tasty Licks in Shillington also has them for $5.99 lb. Might want to call ahead, not sure if they always have them.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Thanks for the heads up... I'm about 30min from Shady
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Just be sure to call Shady Maple to order them (or see if they have any in house).  Bob Z the meat manager said it usually takes a week to get them in.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Correction:

I just finished trimming the Tri TIps in one of the cryovac packages and there are 5 Tri Tips (not 6 - the meat manager was only guessing when he told me 6) in the package.  The packages run from 18-20 pounds and  the meat is untrimmed.  You do not have to buy a whole package from Shady Maple.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Might have to check it out. Post some pics when you cook thrm
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Shiff
    I cooked one last night for dinner and it was great. I took some pictures and photobucket kept giving me errors on upload so I will try again today. 
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    edited November 2013
    I cooked a Tri Tip (my first one cooked at home) last night and it came out great.  I cooked it medium well since my wife doesn't like things too rare but we were still very happy with the flavor and it was very tender.

I had problems uploading the pictures to Photobucket from my desktop computer (kept giving me HTTP errors) so I tried it from my iPhone and it seemed to work.  I hope they post here OK.

I rubbed the Tri Tip with coarse salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and turbinado sugar.
    image"">image"">image

I got the BGE setup for direct heat at around 500 degrees and put the Tri Tip on for a few minutes on each side to sear it then removed it.

I then put in the plate setter and the grill on top of that and some Apple wood on the charcoal.  I set the vents for around 300 degrees and put the Tri Tip back on the grill.  Here it is after about 30 minutes
    image"">image

It took about 30 more minutes to get to 140 degrees when I pulled it, wrapped it in foil and left it for 10 minutes before slicing
    image"">image

It was juicy, full of flavor, and fairly tender.  I might try cooking it a little less next time and give my wife's serving a short nuke to make it more to her taste.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Great thread for tri-tip availability. They are out there if you are willing to go the extra mile like you did. I would love to get a case of them, never did that. And I didn't know Tasty Licks carried any meat either, I was just there 2 weeks ago. He certainly has everything else though. Nice cook Shiff, I like to pull mine at 125-130, I like 'em rare.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • Shiff
    I haven't been to Fred's lately - they didn't carry any meat at my last visit.  Does anyone know what Fred charges for Tri Tips?

I'll be picking some up at Stauffer's today and will compare them to the ones I got at Shady Maple earlier this week.

Luckily our new freezer arrives tomorrow.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Shiff said:
    I haven't been to Fred's lately - they didn't carry any meat at my last visit.  Does anyone know what Fred charges for Tri Tips?

I'll be picking some up at Stauffer's today and will compare them to the ones I got at Shady Maple earlier this week.

Luckily our new freezer arrives tomorrow.
    Fred's were $5.99 this summer. Not sure if it's seasonal or not. I didn't see them out anywhere, just a sign that said we now have Tri-Tip, $5.99/lb. I'll bet they keep them in a cooler in the back.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Shiff
    I just got back from my Stauffers market where I went to pick up the Tri Tip I had ordered so I could compare it to the ones I got from Shady Maple.

The meat manager said he was getting in around 15 pounds of Tri Tip and they were being held in the back until I arrived.

When I got there, I gave my name and he brought out the box.  The cryovac was opened and there were not as many as he said.  Also, they were CUT in half. The butcher said they came in thay way. I asked why the package was opened and low in number. He said that someone came in and said they were part of my 'group buy' and took his.  I have no idea who this is because I wasn't doing a group buy.  No one else was buying these but me.  The only place I mentioned that I was getting some from Stauffers was right here on this forum.  Did someone from here misrepresent themselves?

The Tri Tips were fully trimmed and cost $5.99/pound.  Since they were cut, I'm not 100% sure they really are Tri Tips but I trust my butcher enough to assume that part was wrong.

I guess from now on I'll buy them from Shady Maple.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Sounds like a lot of well-placed effort for some  great cooks.

Ah, the joy of living "out here', where we just stop by the closest grocery store to pick up some tri-tip! 

:D
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Shiff said:
    I just got back from my Stauffers market where I went to pick up the Tri Tip I had ordered so I could compare it to the ones I got from Shady Maple.

The meat manager said he was getting in around 15 pounds of Tri Tip and they were being held in the back until I arrived.

When I got there, I gave my name and he brought out the box.  The cryovac was opened and there were not as many as he said.  Also, they were CUT in half. The butcher said they came in thay way. I asked why the package was opened and low in number. He said that someone came in and said they were part of my 'group buy' and took his.  I have no idea who this is because I wasn't doing a group buy.  No one else was buying these but me.  The only place I mentioned that I was getting some from Stauffers was right here on this forum.  Did someone from here misrepresent themselves?

The Tri Tips were fully trimmed and cost $5.99/pound.  Since they were cut, I'm not 100% sure they really are Tri Tips but I trust my butcher enough to assume that part was wrong.

I guess from now on I'll buy them from Shady Maple.
    Thats shady.  Further they cut them in half? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited November 2013
    jaydub58 said:

Sounds like a lot of well-placed effort for some  great cooks.

Ah, the joy of living "out here', where we just stop by the closest grocery store to pick up some tri-tip! 

:D
    @ jaydub58   Are you familiar with Emerson Vineyards in Monmouth. The owners are old high school friends of ours?
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.