Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Christmas time is coming

henapplehenapple Posts: 15,574
We usually buy ourselves a little something to be wrapped "from the kids". Trying to decide between the AR or a cheaper temp controller. I know most will say that ar but to some degree wonder if I really need it. I really don't know anything else I need. Maybe some spices.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• I would go with the Temp controller if I were you I have a DigiQ Dx2 and love it I also just got a CyberQ wifi can't tell you about that I haven't been able to figure it out yet I need my tecno geek son to help me get it up and running and then explain to me how it operates 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 3,701

Anybody who knows @henapple recognizes the absurdity of him wasting time worrying about this.  There is no doubt that he is on the naughty list.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• AR hands down. Look no further for a gift you will use on EVERY cook.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  If the lead bullets don't kill you, the leaded water will.

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,463
    I am told that I only need a swift kick in the ass. Everything else I want. Then there is something about **** in one hand and which fills up first, blah blah blah.

I'm doing pretty well with the group buy extender so I'd lean towards the controller. I still like overnight cooks. Apparently the AR will change your life, so there's that. I think CT gave up his first born or something.

• Economically, the AR with all the goodies is cheaper than a DigiQ.

........................................................................................

• LitLit Posts: 5,661
    Get a mini.
  • yogi84yogi84 Posts: 169
    AR is what i would go for....
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 15,574
    @Lit... Thought about it. I'd rather have a small. I know @Mickey cooks a 12lb packer on his mind really don't need another egg *gasp*
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 17,327
    No question. The AR man
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• What's the AR guys?
    Adjustable rig... Multi level grid system
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 8,079
    I vote for the AR. I have a partyQ which I haven't used for a couple of years. It seems that the controllers are more useful for low temp cooks. I've been able to maintain 250°F overnight without a problem, but that's the lowest I have tried to go so far. 

Going to start trying to cold smoke cheese and salmon, so maybe I'll think differently after a while, but for now, an AR would be on my wish list.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • AR? Temp controller? Spices? What you really need is some good lump, there is a guy on here can hook you up with some Ozark Oak.... :))
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,684
    AR!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

Yeah when you coming back to the ATL with some OO? Found a place here that stocks it but they want $14.99 a bag. I think I paid like $4.50 a bag at Harps in Arkansas.
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,463
    With all these "AR"s, henapple is going to have a pirate Christmas.

• I have a super deluxe AR and spider with some other stuff Tom suggested when i called to order. I also have a party Q that Mickey gave me. I love both but would buy the AR 100/1. 

If you do get a controller, get the party Q or one you can monitor and adjust from your phone over wifi. The partyQ has been 100% for me. The only thing that would make it better is having the ability to check the status from work. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • sumoconnellsumoconnell Posts: 1,160
    edited November 2013
    +1 on AR R&B combo plus spider.

So flexible. Also, if you buy a controller and the egg babysits itself, this ruins your excuse to stay up drinking pbrs!
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • I bought myself a tenor concertina for Christmas.  You should consider the same.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to my daughter), MBGE and lots of toys

• RLeeperRLeeper Posts: 480
    Lit said:
    Yeah when you coming back to the ATL with some OO? Found a place here that stocks it but they want $14.99 a bag. I think I paid like $4.50 a bag at Harps in Arkansas.

@Lit who stocks it in ATL?
    Extra Large, Large, and Mini. Tucker, GA
  • If Daddy's got a squeezebox, does Mama sleep at night?

@Rleeper the ace in John creek. Check the 3rd pic they have alot. http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/fod/4205440093.html
  • Hungry JoeHungry Joe Posts: 1,234

The AR is something that really is not needed, meaning there are other ways to achieve the same results. Also a temp controller is not a necessity either, the egg does fine on it's own, but I have both.

Bottom line, its Christmas. Once you use them you will wonder you waited so long.

If Daddy's got a squeezebox, does Mama sleep at night?

No.... She doesn't
  • I'd get a partyQ. Or you could buy my small. I'm about to take it out of my table, clean it up and take some pics for Craigslist.

XLBGE 
    $200?
  • bucky925bucky925 Posts: 134
    AR means something totally different in my part of the country. lol
    I've got 2...Cmmg 380, AR-15...Noveski lower, BCA upper.
  • ReldtiCDNReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    edited November 2013
    Gave the warden my list. the other day. It consisted of links to AR customer combo and backlit thermopen. That was the second list, first list was the naughty list I received same night I sent it.
    Brampton, Ontario

• Greeno55Greeno55 Posts: 621
    I have both the AR R&B combo with extender and the CyberQ wifi. I use the controller maybe once a month, but the AR in some configuration almost every cook.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario