Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fryer for Fried Turkey

2»

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 15,962
    If you don't burn the oil just strain it... Last forever.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fljoemonfljoemon Posts: 750
    edited November 2013
    Get the Bayou Classic Turkey Fryer Kit from Home Depot or Lowes if available. They are great .. Been frying in them for the past 12 years without any issues. They come with a nice stand to prop up the turkey, lifting hook, thermometer and an injector for injecting butter/spices into the turkey (http://www.lowes.com/pd_18718-95532-3025_0__?productId=3735775)

Remember to dunk the turket like a sissy .. ie. drop it slowly .. then pull it up a little as the oil bubbles, then drop it a little more .. pull it up again etc .. until the oil is settled. Be extremely patient and always use the thermometer that comes with the kit to see the temperature of the oil keeping in mind not to exceed 425 degrees. Stay with the frying pot all the time ... do not allow children near the fryer and do it outside on a level surface. I do it in my back yard on the grass away from everything. I also use my welders gloves when dropping the turkey in the oil and when pulling it out.

I fry 3 very nicely seasoned turkeys around 12 to 14 lbs with the peanut oil I put in and after the first turkey is done, I add a little bit more oil. I typically get the 3 gallon peanut oil from either BJs Wholesale club or from Costco.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Would a bone-in breast dry out? Not fond of dark meat and thinking of frying just a breast.
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA