Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first LBGE pizza

Options
For my first attempt at this I decided to go with what I know best.  That was using this perforated pizza pan which I have baked numerous pizzas with in my kitchen oven. My setup was...Indirect, legs up, grate, pizza pan, 500 F, 25 minutes.  Homemade dough, sauce from fresh garden tomatoes, toppings..."the works" including lots of salted anchovies and pork sausage.  The crust was crisper than from the kitchen oven. Almost too crisp and overly browned. Editable but very brown. I will probably do a legs down pizza the same way before I start to work with the pizza stones.

Question: What is the best way to shut down the oven heat, without burning up all of the lump, after a cook such as this?

Your input is appreciated.  Thank you in advance!
LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Did you use a pizza stone? Or set the perforated pizza pan on the grill?
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    Hotch said:
    Did you use a pizza stone? Or set the perforated pizza pan on the grill?
    No stone. Pan on grill.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

I have one of those but have not tried it yet. Think I will try it next time out. I thought it would help from having a crisp crust.

One thing to be careful of is going legs down. My first pizzas I did at 600 of torched my felt. 

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX