Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pizza on new mini is a hit! ...pics

Options
krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Did mini bbq chicken and maple bourbon chicken pizzas tonight. I used my new Anova sous vide for the first time today. I put chicken in this morning then grilled the chicken to finish it off. 

The maple bourbon pizza had caramelized onions, blue cheese, mozz and chicken. It was sweet and savory...delicious. I could see adding pear or apple. Could also see cutting in small squares and serving as appetizer with or without the fruit.

For the bbq pizza, I mixed Sweet Baby Ray"s bbq sauce with bottled pizza sauce. Surprisingly, it was really good. I topped with grilled chicken, caramelized onions and mozz. Hubby loved it. 

Both crust were crispy on the bottom and slightly chewy in the body. These were the best pizzas so far...I've only tried on my LBGE in past with just ok results.

A side note....I ordered the pizza cutter from the same place I got my 8 inch stones from..California Pizza Stones. It is a great knife...professional quality, VERY sharp. It is also sold on Amazon.

Sorry some pics are blurry...
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Do you have a platesetter or another stone below the grid?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • krobertsmsn
    Options
    Short answer is 2 stones.

Longer version-I have 2-8 inch round x 5/8 inch thick pizza stones. I placed one on my woo, then SS grid, then the other stone. That left approx 1 inch gap between the stones on the 1st pizza. I wanted the top sightly more cooked, so I placed small foil balls on the SS grid to raise up the cooking stone for the 2nd pizza.

I looked at the mini platesetter when I got my new mini 2 weeks ago. It required a lower profile fire ring purchase. I didn't want to have to buy another fire ring for that set up. I feel this set up is more flexible. I have the real deal for my LBGE and MBGE. 
    Rome, GA
  • jtippers
    jtippers Posts: 512
    Options
    Looks great!!!
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Thank you! 
    Rome, GA
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Looks perfect! Top is browned nicely. How hot did you cook these?
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    Nice , I've done a few mini pizza cooks. 4 is the number to feed everyone here.
    Seattle, WA
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Tasty looking pizzas. Nice job!
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    For thin or hay lets have a pizza now times, tortilla is the answer. Started just for the grand kids but now my goto.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Great looking pies. I have not had great success making pizza on my mini and now just stick to the large. Guess I need to try the mini again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    Hoov...I used my woo with an 8 inch stone on it, then ss grid and the second cooking stone for the first pizza. I wanted the top more brown on the second one so I put small foil balls between the grid and cooking stone on the second one. The trunk was around 500 to 550. Cooked about 10 min.
    Rome, GA
  • ChuckChampion
    Options
    Im so jealous of these mini posts... looks awesome
  • Tailwind
    Options

Nice looking pizza and sounds delicious.  I might have to make some this weekend!

LRG BGE

Columbia, SC

• krobertsmsn
    Options
    the temp, not trunk...darn auto-correct!
    Rome, GA