Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Trifecta - roasting, searing, and smoking

As usual my son and I decided to “go big”.  We went to Costco to get a brisket for an overnight cook.  We didn’t even have a meal in mind, we just wanted to cook a brisket and my wife decided she would like some of it to make chili at some undisclosed time in the future.  So while we were at Costco getting the brisket we decided to pick up “a” pork tenderloin for dinner.  Of course, at Costco that means two 2-packs of tenderloins.   We decided to prepare them two different ways.  First, we rubbed two of them with Dizzy Pig’s Jamaican Firewalk and cooked them indirect at about 300 until they reached 145 internal.   We wrapped them in foil to keep them warm until we served them.  Then we took the platesetter out and opened up the vents.  We put a cast iron pan on the direct grid and let the egg get up to 500+ degrees.  We sliced the other two tenderloins to about 5/8” slices, coated them with melted butter, added blackening seasoning and seared them on the cast iron.  Then for dinner we sampled both tenderloin preparations – specifically eating the blackened tenderloin as sliders on half croissants.  In the meantime we left the egg with minimal airflow so it could cool down to a low/slow smoking temperature.   We subsequently added some mesquite, oak and more lump and put the brisket (rubbed with a mixture of Salt Lick rub and Montreal Steak seasoning – with olive oil used to make it into a paste consistency) on for the night. at 10:45 PM while the thermometer was reading less than 200 degrees but I didn't worry about it too much as the fire was going and the vents were minimally open about 1/4" on the bottom and 1/8"on the top.  At 5:00 AM the grid was at 188 and the meat at 153 adn the fire was still burning.  I opened the vents a little more.  By 7:00 AM the grid was at 250 and the meat at 171.

The pictures taken with my phone are not very good, especially the one taken after the fire really got going while we were blackening as the flash did not go off – but it gives one the idea of how hot it was at that point.  The pic of the tenderloins roasting shows how not to insert a meat thermometer for this type of cook.  When the thermometer is not far enough into the meat it gives a falsely high reading.  The thermometer should be inserted from the end of the tenderloin so the more of the thermometer traverses the meat.  Once we did that we got accurate readings.  I'll try to remember to post the money pic of the brisket and apologize for not remembering to do so on the tenderloins.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for looking.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• You can adopt me if you want. Is make a great little brother.

Btw, how did the academy grill turn out?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • You can adopt me if you want. Is make a great little brother. Btw, how did the academy grill turn out?
    Travis.  You just broke Pam's heart.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• But they have brisket!!!!!!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830

The Academy grill worked out well, thanks.  At this point, I don't remember if I thanked you in the other thread or not - but I intended to.

It got hot enough to put a small cast iron pan on it and get a sear which is what I was looking for - and it was easily portable.

At this point the brisket is 205 in the point and the Thermopen slides in like butter, but 181 in the flat and still getting some resistance.  Since I'm planning on just using the point at chili meat after I pull it I'm just going to let the whole thing ride until the flat is done.

How do others deal with this temperature difference when it arises?  This is the first time I've seen a difference this large.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Yeah, we just decided it will be brisket sandwiches on croissants since we have some left from last night.

San Antonio, TX

• I get the part I'm going to eat (the point) just right and make chopped beef with whatever isn't tender enough.
  • Foghorn said:

The Academy grill worked out well, thanks.  At this point, I don't remember if I thanked you in the other thread or not - but I intended to.

It got hot enough to put a small cast iron pan on it and get a sear which is what I was looking for - and it was easily portable.

At this point the brisket is 205 in the point and the Thermopen slides in like butter, but 181 in the flat and still getting some resistance.  Since I'm planning on just using the point at chili meat after I pull it I'm just going to let the whole thing ride until the flat is done.

How do others deal with this temperature difference when it arises?  This is the first time I've seen a difference this large.

It's normal. the point will be fine at that temp and the flat will follow soon. You are coming out of the stall and the flat will rise quickly. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn

Thanks.  I'm used to seeing a 10-15 degree difference and ignoring it, but the 25 degree difference had me a little concerned.

This is the first one we have ever done with the flat on top and I wonder if that is why it is behaving differently?  It seems counterintuitive because in indirect cooking the temperature is usually higher up top.

The edges of the flat are like buttah and a small sample of it suggests it is the best brisket my son or I have ever tasted.  The center of the flat is still not there yet.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn, you are assuming that the members of this forum have the attention span to read that book you just wrote.

Next time, try something like this.

Me cook meat.
    Meat taste good.
    Me like.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Foghorn

Good point VI. Maybe it should have been a haiku:

I cook meat three times

Tenderloin times two and beef

All very tasty

San Antonio, TX

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318
    @Foghorn-great "Semper Gumby" (always flexible) use of the BGE for your cooks.  I was able to read your initial post as I am not in the "low&slow" mode so the adult beverages just got cranked up.  And major points for using your son as a shield in case the plan went south :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Sounds like some great weekend cooking. Love that your son is involved too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Foghorn

My son is my hall pass.

Here are the finished brisket pics. It was not perfect, but was more moist than the picture suggests.

@lousubcap, thank you for trudging through my drivel.  As VI correctly pointed out (how often do you get to write that?) it was way too wordy.

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    How many people did you cook for? Wow
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Is that the La Plancha that I've seen at Williams Sonoma?
  • Foghorn

"How many people did you cook for?"

3.  We like to go a cook on the weekend and eat leftovers all week.  Between my work schedule and my son's guitar (3 nights a week) and tennis (the other two weeknights) schedules we don't have a lot of time during the week for cooking.

"Is that the La Plancha that I've seen at Williams Sonoma?"

Yes.  It is very large and heavy - which is really only a problem when it is time to clean it, but overall I like it very much. 

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Get a blog...

:))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN