Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg BBQ Guru – DIGIQ

Anyone have the Big Green Egg BBQ Guru – DIGIQ and feedback on the effectiveness of this hardware. Is it worth it and is it reliable enough to set and forget with good results?

Comments

• I have a DigiQ  by BBQ guru it does not have the BGE name on it but it is the same thing yes it is worth the money and yes you set it and forget it 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Does this unit work on all cooks, low and high?  Specifically, if I am doing something other than low and slow, will it work just as well with a 400 degree direct cook as it will with a 275 degree slow cook?
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Romain
    Romain Posts: 52
    txav8r said:
    Does this unit work on all cooks, low and high?  Specifically, if I am doing something other than low and slow, will it work just as well with a 400 degree direct cook as it will with a 275 degree slow cook?

The answer is yes it can BUT... The probes are only rated for 450 I believe. The braid melts rendering the probes useless. Flare ups will cause damage as well. Writing from personal experience.
    Romain Nowakowski Ashburn, VA
  • txav8r yes it does what you want it to do but I think 400 is the highest temp it will allow 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    I have one that I got in a crags list deal that I have never used….be willing to sell if anyone does long cooks….give me a pm

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• The value and benefit of the DigiQ and others like it is maintaining the desired temperature over a long period of time. There probably isn't really much value to use it for shorter normal cooks but for longer low and slow, it does a great job. Nice to set it and go to sleep and find your temp right where you want it the next morning.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • I use it for 400 and below although 350 is a common temp for "medium."

Yes, it is well worth it. I would say indispensable for low and slow cooks. I've done overnight pork shoulders for 17 hours and the temp stays locked on while I sleep.

I do spatchcock chickens at 350-400 indirect so I use it for that sometimes because it can take about an hour. Short cooks don't benefit as much.
  • Bonar said:
    Anyone have the Big Green Egg BBQ Guru – DIGIQ and feedback on the effectiveness of this hardware. Is it worth it and is it reliable enough to set and forget with good results?
    I just got a cyberQ.  I started it at 0500, went to work and monitored it from the web.  About 2100 or so the cook was done.  All I had to to was keep working while it did its job.  Big thumbs up and I can't wait to use it with a brisket.
    Near San Francisco in California
  • I also have the cyber q...it's great to start then go to a baseball game for the kids...I can monitor and adjust from my phone...like the others...I don't get it out for the quick and hots but the overnights are great...have used it for 225 cooks several times...
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...