Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for all of the Multi-eggers out there

Options
2»

Comments

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited November 2013
    Options
    FWIW-The mini is advertized to hold 1 steak and 2 chicken breasts. I think it will hold 1 lg steak, like porterhouse/T bone etc, but will hold up to 4 filet mignons and 2 strips without issue. There is also a small wok sold from the wok store in SF, CA for the mini. I could really also foresee 3 chicken breast if they aren't huge...
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I have a large and a medium and sometimes I fire up both it is nice to have veggies on one and meats on the other. Also, if you want to do low/slow and then veggies or higher temp on the other. But to answer your question, I would guess about 50% of the time. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I use two once in awhile, and once used all three.  An XL lets you cook direct and indirect at the same time, which is useful.
    What's your setup for same time direct/indirect on the XL? I've seen various setups, lump to one side like on a Weber, half moon, etc.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    DMW said:
    I use two once in awhile, and once used all three.  An XL lets you cook direct and indirect at the same time, which is useful.
    What's your setup for same time direct/indirect on the XL? I've seen various setups, lump to one side like on a Weber, half moon, etc.

This is my XL set-up for direct/indirect zones.  The brackets are from CGS. 

Flint, Michigan
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Only two of us and 2 Larges and a Mini. The Mini gets 70% of the work. But Thanksgiving will have one going with a turkey and one going with a ham and the Mini busy with sausage. Why does your wife have double ovens?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• RickyBobby
    Options
    I have an XL right now, it is my 1st ever Egg. I am already interested in getting a multi-Egg setup. I watch classifieds regularly for hope of getting one at a good price. I would like to have a medium & mini. This way I'd have every other size. It would be a good setup I'd think. This way I could go places with the mini too.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • bbqlearner
    Options
    Large, small and mini for 4 of us. Large and small only gets used together probably once every 1.5 - 2 months. Mini gets more used out of all but for the longer cooks, large gets some use. Love minis for travels, camps, picnics, etc. 

If I can go back in time, I would probably not buy small and buy mini instead. Now, the small is only used once in a while when there's a group of people coming and even then, it only gets a share of the sides - something the mini could easily do too :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts