Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chef Alarm from Thermaworks

I'm not an expert turkey cooker, and I've read that there is a fairly narrow margin of internal temperature of a turkey between done and overdone (dry). I read the magic temperature is 157.  Resting brings it up a bit.  So, I bought a Chef Alarm to alert me at the perfect temperature.  That relieves me of opening the dome multiple times and making several probes with the thermapen.  I also see a lot more uses for it .... prime rib, pork tenderloin, etc.

Does anybody else use this gadget?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    I've been looking at that model and the TW8060. Looks to be built well and has good reviews. No experience with it though, sorry.
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • I'm with you on not having to open the dome multiple times. I just used my Maverick when I did my turkey.

Is that the Chef Alarm from Thermaworks? Looks like it only has a meat probe and no grill temp probe.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I gave both of mine away. I am in the open the dome and polk method. But that is just me. I do agree with the 157 but your legs (turkey legs, don't care about your legs) are pointed to the back of the Egg so you get to the 180 area at the same time.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Been eyeing the unit...seriously considering it and I like their products.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Mickey said:
    I gave both of mine away. I am in the open the dome and polk method. But that is just me. I do agree with the 157 but your legs (turkey legs, don't care about your legs) are pointed to the back of the Egg so you get to the 180 area at the same time.
    Question...i've read that putting the setter in so that a y shape is formed opens the back(hot part of the egg) up to take adv of the hot spot.What about the oval stone that I use i guess i should be using a round stone to take adv of this hot spot as the oval just covers it?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    @CANMAN1976 - lay the oval stone perpendicular to the axis of the hinge/handle. Lay the turkey down with the legs pointing back so they get more heat, while the breast is somewhat shielded. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I like my Maverick because it gives me grid and meat temp and is wireless. My probes have held up well for several years, and are calibrated right. I hear the newer probes have had issues though. 

VI - If you use the Chef Alarm with your kettle, be careful about the lid crimping the probe as it will damage it over time. I cut a vertical notch in the kettle rim with an angle grinder for the wire to lay in so that it doesn't get crimped when the lid is put on.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2013
    I only cook direct at 400 raised.
    Mickey said:
    Question...i've read that putting the setter in so that a y shape is formed opens the back(hot part of the egg) up to take adv of the hot spot.What about the oval stone that I use i guess i should be using a round stone to take adv of this hot spot as the oval just covers it?

I only cook direct at 400 raised
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SeeingSpots
    SeeingSpots Posts: 151
    edited November 2013
    I am considering that product as well since my Maverick probes keep dying even though I follow their every advice.  It's pricey, but if the probes hold out, it will save me money over the long haul vs Maverick.
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE