Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon.. OT

Options
I said OT bc I did the bacon on my Weber Bullet. I used the pellets and I made a tray similar to the one Cen-Tex showed.
It worked well but the bacon tasted a little to smokey, sooty. Thoughts.. maybe needed more air. Will use the BGE next time,
I used it for dinner that day. Thanks
Pure Michigan
Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options

I think the bacon needs to stabilize after it is smoked for a while before use.  I found fresh bacon pretty smokey... but I found some of that same batch buried in the freezer after about 6 months.  When I sliced it up it was the best bacon I've made (and it was the same stuff I thought was ruined when it was first made).

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options

Good questions..I think smokey flavor is a function of 1) How long did you smoke and 2) Once sliced and packaged, how long did you let it mellow before cooking.. If it's anything like cheese, it needs a week to mellow out first or it tastes like an ashtray. Of course you don't want bacon just sitting in the fridge so I would assume you would instead let it mellow in the freezer.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Curious about the temp on "cold smoking"  I am certain that the winter temps here in upstate NY are too cold for sure.  What is the right temp range for smoking bacon like this?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Options
    I live in Toronto - if it's above 32'F I go for it.  Last winter some suggested adding a small light bulb or something in the egg to make sure it was above freezing.
    Cookinbob said:
    Curious about the temp on "cold smoking"  I am certain that the winter temps here in upstate NY are too cold for sure.  What is the right temp range for smoking bacon like this?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    It was cold smoke, no heat. I did bag and put bacon in frig. It smoked 9 hrs. It was around 40 degs. outside. It was in frig a week, I sliced and fried some this am. It was a little salty, I had soaked it in water for a hour and changed water once, before smoking. I will slice and freeze and see if that helps. TGIF
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE