Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Food saver recommendations

Been cooking up a storm in my egg...more then we can eat... I have been looking at the vac/seal options...but there are quite a few out there... What food saver devices do others recommend? Any must have features?
Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...

Comments

• Get the best one. I got the low end model 15 years ago off of an infomercial with a payment plan and it worked good for years. The top of the line model is sooo much better with the bag sorage and cutter and also the ability to stop the vacuum process and start the seal whenever you want. I think you can do a payment plan on the website for 4-$45 payments.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I recently bought the 4880 form Costco, on sale for $120. No accessories but it comes with the tube doohickey to vacuum suck canisters and ziplock bags.

I've played with it a little and like it so far. It has a pulse vac, automatic vac and seal mode, and the accessory function. Works on ZipLoc brand vacuum bags as well. I bought it for storing meats and cooked foods in the freezer, but mainly to get into sous vide cooking. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The game saver model has a lifetime warranty. It's the only one.

I've been looking at reviews for a few weeks and the game saver bronze looks like the one to get.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Thanks all
  • JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    I also bought the Costco 4880 FoodSaver a few weeks ago for $120 and I've used the heck out of it with no problems at all.  Seems to be very good
  • A chamber sealer is the best bet. You can do stocks, stews, chilis, soups and all the other stuff with no mess or freezing. Unfortunately they are mucho dinero.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I got the Costco model a couple of months ago and it works great.  Make sure you get the jar sealer, really helps to keep things fresh,chips nuts, etc.
    Suwanee Georgia - suburb north of Atlanta
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited November 2013
    The game saver model has a lifetime warranty. It's the only one. Anything from Costco does too. Anything from Costco does too. I've been looking at reviews for a few weeks and the game saver bronze looks like the one to get.

:D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• We have the Gamesaver Silver and it has been flawless for several years + the lifetime warranty.  Be sure to check into the packages as we bought ours for $0.01 less then the sealer alone with an assortment of bags and rolls, a 12volt cord, a carrying case  and a vacuum container thrown in.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Anyone else using the FS silver? I found a code for 20% off and free shipping (C9FC20R). Was looking at the premium kit. Has a carrying bag, vac bags, marinator container, and $100 coupon for more bags I'm assuming. Works out to $159 and some change.  Send some feedback please.

Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• GK59 said:
    Anyone else using the FS silver? I found a code for 20% off and free shipping (C9FC20R). Was looking at the premium kit. Has a carrying bag, vac bags, marinator container, and $100 coupon for more bags I'm assuming. Works out to $159 and some change.  Send some feedback please.

Bill
    If that is the Gamesaver Silver it sounds like the same kit I mentioned above.  Great deal.  Does it still have the lifetime warranty?  Either way I would buy at that price.  Mine works great for what I want it to do.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • caliking
    @GK59 - that looks like a pretty good deal. I bought the 4880 for $120 from Costco on sale, but it only came with one 11"roll and a few gallon and quart size bags. The $100 in coupons will probably not all be useful, but some probably will be for things you want.

So far, the only thing I don't like about mine is that the accessory hose is on some kind of reel - pull out to use, then pull a little more for it to reel in. You have to pull a fair bit for it to start retracting, so I think that feature is going to be the first to fail. Bought it from Costco, so I figured that is as good as an extended warranty. The marinating canister sounded neat so I might buy that on sale sometime.

• GK59 said:

Bill
    Where is this sold? Link?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • caliking
    Foodsaver website.

• GK59

Travis . It's at the FS web site . I found the 20% off code else where. It does work as I was ready to order.

Got to go as that storm is starting  to get close to Bay City. I can hear it rumbling. and I am about to start some chicken.

Later,Bill

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• twlangan
    twlangan Posts: 307
    edited November 2013
    We just bought a Weston Pro series vac sealer. I did a lot of research and comparisons before deciding on one of these.

http://www.westonsupply.com/Weston-Vacuum-Sealers-p/pro vacuum sealers.htm

Pluses:

Powerful
    Almost all parts are replaceable
    Wide - can seal up to 15" wide bags if you want to seal large items.qty's

Minuses:

Cost
    Large and heavy. This is not a unit you can expect to leave sitting around on a kitchen counter. Takes up a lot of storage space.

I've sealed up a lot on the week that we've had ours. I love this thing. Wish we had gotten one years ago.
  • I appreciate all the great feedback.

After reading all the comments, and doing a ton of research it came down between the 4800 series ($130) and the Gamesaver Bronze ($170).  

Basspro bundle that came with six rolls of 11" x 16' bags, but Sams had a 6 pack deal with 4 11 X 16 rolls and 2 quart size bag rolls for $40...so it was about even-steven.  I went with the Gamesaver Bronze because it was smaller in size, so it took up less room, and it has a lifetime warranty, as opposed to the 5 year of the 4800...Probably would have been happy with either one. The camo look was pretty cool too...Not sure if it will ever leave the house, but the gamesaver looked more portable as well.
  • GK59

Now that I'm looking for one, I'm really confused. I don't want to spend much over a $100.May be using 3 or 4 times a year when making sausage.

Alot of the reviews are not very good on such as the Gamesaver silver.

HELP!!!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• If your not looking to spend a lot of money go to amazon and take a look at the waring pro pistol vac. Comes with tons of bags and it's portable. The bags are reusable and u can refrigerate, freeze, boil, and microwave them. I bought one so I could use it to sous vide when I get one, and I've sealed pork and turkey so far and it is awesome and fun to use.