Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Pulled Pork Question.

Options
bo_mull
bo_mull Posts: 363
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have been elected to cook PP for my niece's wedding. I work 3rd shift 7 days a week and the only time I can do a long cook is while im sleeping or working. I plan on using my stoker for temp control and my SWMBO can keep an eye on the temps for me. My question is, If i put two 9lbs butts on at 630 am, What temp should I be running at to achieve 165 deg around 230 pm? That way i can wake up and foil them and raise the temp to get thru the stall.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I don't have the luxury of a stoker, but on that same note I don't work 7 days a week. Personally I never foil pork butt unless I absolutely have to. Hopefully it's a relatively small wedding as I don't think two 9 lb butts will serve more then 45-50 people. If you have a stoker and your significant other is adept at working it I wouldn't dream of foiling until you are ready to put it in the cooler for a rest.

I'd start at what ever temp you like to slow smoke your butts at for a couple of hours and then bump the temp up to 275-300 until finished.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bo_mull
    Options
    Thanks @Scottborasjr I Plan on doing 2 cooks with 2 butts first then 3 the next day, a total of 5 butts. The wedding is 10 days away so im gonna go ahead and pull the meat and vac seal in food saver bags and freeze. Im thinking about 250 to 275 grid temp to start with.  

Cleveland, TN.

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    I'd say you have a pretty solid plan. Last time I did pork for a large amount of people the event was canceled due to tornado warnings in the area and didn't want to have people travel with the weather.  We froze the pork and reheated with some regular Coke soda in the pork and it turned out to be pretty good. Good luck with your event!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I did two ten pounders this past weekend for a baby shower this coming Saturday. Didn't have the luxury of doing the day of the event. After they were done, let them sit on the counter for an hour wrapped in foil, then pulled. Vac sealed in quart bags, so all they have to do is reheat in boiling water. Have done this with leftover PP before and it's just as good as freshly cooked.
    Options
    I dont have any problems with cooking a week early for an event.  Last weekend my SWMBO reheated a bag out of the freezer that I cooked 3 months ago and it tasted like it was cooked fresh that day.

Cleveland, TN.

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    With your plan for timing, I'd cook at closer to 250. I'd predict at 275 that you'd reach 165 around 12:30-1 PM.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • bo_mull
    Options
    @R2Egg2Q Thanks, Thats probably what I will do. If when I wake up and it's not there yet, I can always bump up the temp.

Cleveland, TN.