Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-maze-N-Smoker Tutorial

Comments

• You have a Pork dealer? That is awesome!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    What temp are you cold smoking? I would be afraid the meat would be in the danger zone for to long by cold moking. Do you cook the meats first. Educate me please
    Because you cure the meat first, the danger zone is not a problem. If it was fresh then it's a problem.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited November 2013
    billyray said:
    What temp are you cold smoking? I would be afraid the meat would be in the danger zone for to long by cold moking. Do you cook the meats first. Educate me please
    Because you cure the meat first, the danger zone is not a problem. If it was fresh then it's a problem.
    Fresh?

• JohnMc
    JohnMc Posts: 76
    Where do you place it when using to supplement smoke during a low n slo? Any trouble keeping it burning then?
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Nope, never left. I check in every couple days looking for new ideas.. I comment when I'm interested. So.. Cold smoking... Cook meat first? Danger zone?
    Cook meat first? NO

Danger Zone an issue? YES!
    Many authors insist that pink salt is required any time meats are cold smoked. I consider under 90F to be cold smoking but I  I try to smoke under 40F.

In the past, living in south, FL I only smoked meats and cheeses on the occasional cold winter day. However, we don't get many of those. Out of that frustration, I devised a system of cold smoking that allows for extended smokes at around 40F. In a few days I will start a  discussion on the topic (after I get some pictures taken). 
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Two ways to keep heat to a minimum. 1st pic has the a-maze-n smoker in the small and bacon in the large. 2nd pic the smoker is in the large and bacon is in the master built.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    You have a Pork dealer? That is awesome!
    Yep my buddy that owns a restaurant, which I promise to take you to when you come to Seattle gets it for me direct from the farm, he is awesome picks out the farmer based on what I want to do with the meat.
    Lynnwood WA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    double said:
    Yep my buddy that owns a restaurant, which I promise to take you to when you come to Seattle gets it for me direct from the farm, he is awesome picks out the farmer based on what I want to do with the meat.
    Yep that sounds like a pork dealer alright.  You lucky sumbitch. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • double said:

You have a Pork dealer? That is awesome!

I'm in Seattle December 9th and 11th (Bellingham on 10th). . I have a dinner On The 10th but free on the 12th. .......you promised :D. It is unwise to threaten Centex with a good time. He will often take you up on it.
  • Great tutorial @The Cen-Tex Smoker Thanks!

For cold smoking cheese do you put the platesetter in or since there is not much heat there is no need for it?
  • Great tutorial @The Cen-Tex Smoker Thanks!

For cold smoking cheese do you put the platesetter in or since there is not much heat there is no need for it?
    I haven't done cheese yet. just bacon. I use my AR with stone though just to protect it from any radiant heat from the smoldering pellets. i would definitely use it should I decide to smoke cheese.
  • Luvflt
    Luvflt Posts: 63
    Not an expert here but I was told cold smoking temps shouldn't go above 90 degrees. Your food either has to be cured first brine etc. Those doing bacon for example may do it for 10-12 hours but it has been cured first. Things like nuts and cheese aren't an issue for the 3 hours or so to do a cold smoke.
    Palm City, FL
  • Dumb question, but it your bottom vent open all the way as well as the top?
  • Dumb question, but it your bottom vent open all the way as well as the top?
    yes (and not a dumb question)

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I don't have a weed burner or a Mapp torch.  Would using the BGE lighter squares work, place one under the pellets at one end and light.  If I only want to go 6 hours but lots of smoke, OK to light both ends?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    If you don't mind me chiming in here @Zmokin that is how I start my burn on my Amaze-n-smoker. I cut little squares that fit it the tray and then fill. Also I always light both ends. Whatever doesn't burn at the end of 6 hours will be used next time. Let the little squares burn off before you add food. Watch the wind
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Zmokin, I dont have either a weed burner or a Mapp tourch.  If it is still cold tomorrow and i am at home may try lighting with the squares.  I kinda thoughtof that and dismissed it, now i will try that. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Very nice and not too difficult to imagine some real possibilities, here.  I use to use a Big Chief Smoker to do salmon but have been wanting to put the egg to use for this.  Also, I've been dabbling with some hybrid egg / sous vide cooks.  This could help with that, as well.  Thank you for the details.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• all that works. I use a torch. you can use squares or an oil soaked paper towel too. Anything that will really get it rocking for 10-15 min. A regular lighter would be tough. 

• If you are looking for a pretty cheap torch alternative, this tip and a can of propane or map gas can probably be bought at Home Depot or lowes for under 15 bucks total...I've used it with my A-maze and it works well.

http://www.amazon.com/Mag-Torch-MT200C-Propane-Pencil-Burner/dp/B000692UYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424739262&sr=8-1&keywords=Propane+torch
    Making the neighbors jealous in Pleasant Hill, Ia one cook at a time...
  • DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Where do you order the basket. And are these the same pellets used in pellet grills?
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    DuckDogDr said:
    Where do you order the basket. And are these the same pellets used in pellet grills?
    Most anywhere online, including Amazon. Home Depot even sells it. Yes to the pellets, same ones.
  • DuckDogDr said:
    Traeger pellets work better than the pellets they sell with it. There are better pellets out there than Traeger but they stay lit and will roll 14 hours straight without going out. The AMS pellets seemed to go out all the time. That was a few years ago but I never bought them agaian after having much better luck with Traeger pellets. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    question for @The Cen-Tex Smoker can you go more in depth in this cold smoking thing.  i have some time off around the holidays and might give this a try if santa brings me the right tools?  i typically do the bacon in a cure for a week, rinse and then smoke at 200 until the meat is at 150 IT and then vacuum seal for 2 weeks.  curious if this is better or worse.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited December 2018
    my 2 cents @Kent8621 cold smoke is far better.....are you using cure 1 in your bacon, if not you would want to add that if considering cold smoking , the initial cure process is the same as if you were hot smoking 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    lkapigian said:
    my 2 cents @Kent8621 cold smoke is far better.....are you using cure 1 in your bacon, if not you would want to add that if considering cold smoking , the initial cure process is the same as if you were hot smoking 
    yes my cure is Prague powder #1, some brown sugar, salt and and pepper.  I have done some rosemary and garlic cures as well, amazing for burgers if you havent done it.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• I'm going to use the A MAZE N smoke tray in my Bradley smoker. I just ordered their new cold smoke attachment. I plan to use the smoke tray in the cold smoke attachment rather than the electrical burner in the Bradley. I'll join the attachment to the Bradley, just won't plug it in to the electric outlet.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • Kent8621 said:
    question for @The Cen-Tex Smoker can you go more in depth in this cold smoking thing.  i have some time off around the holidays and might give this a try if santa brings me the right tools?  i typically do the bacon in a cure for a week, rinse and then smoke at 200 until the meat is at 150 IT and then vacuum seal for 2 weeks.  curious if this is better or worse.
    Im on a plane at the moment but I’ll be glad to share what I know. Im all cold smoke when it comes to bacon and I do it all with the AMS either in a BGE or my KBQ if I need more room. . 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    edited December 2018
    I'm going to use the A MAZE N smoke tray in my Bradley smoker. I just ordered their new cold smoke attachment. I plan to use the smoke tray in uthe cold smoke attachment rather than the electrical burner in the Bradley. I'll join the attachment to the Bradley, just won't plug it in to the electric outlet.

I'm going to use the A MAZE N smoke tray in my Bradley smoker. I just ordered their new cold smoke attachment. I plan to use the smoke tray in the cold smoke attachment rather than the electrical burner in the Bradley. I'll join the attachment to the Bradley, just won't plug it in to the electric outlet.
    Save the hundred bucks on the adaptor and just set the AMAZN smoker in the Bradley....it will,be fine
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian