Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-maze-N-Smoker Tutorial

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @BizGreenEgg Thanks for the tip, just ordered.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Darn it. Tried to use the code and it says its not a valid code.

Edit - Never mind. the code worked when I typed it in instead of copying and pasting it in. Shipping is minimum $10.54, so I'll just order through Amazon Prime.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    It is cheaper thru Amazon with the free standard shipping option.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use Treger pellets. I'm pretty sure they do too. You can buy them in smaller bags but the 20lb bags are by far the cheapest. i really only do bacon so i bought 20lbs of apple. I've gone through 3lbs or so in several loads of bacon. It's probably a year supply for me.I do keep them in the garage though. If they get at all wet they turn to dust right away. I lost a bag that got dripped on in a rain storm in my deck box.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    I see no top cap, bottom vent wide open? When I did some last weekend it seemed like lots of white smoke. Will try and fry some today or tomorrow and see how it turned out.
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • bettysnephew
    Options

Regarding pellets:

Traeger and most brands of apple and cherry pellets are a mix of oak/hardwood and flavoring or a %age of the flavor wood, not pure apple  or other, check the label.  I have gotten pure apple pellets from BBQr's Delight brand, but the largest size I found was 3 lb.  Don't really know if it makes all that much difference but just a heads up.  Personally I really cannot tell all that much taste differential of the smoke of the various woods.  Perhaps I am over smoking.  It still tastes good to me, just not that I can readily tell one from the other.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • caliking
    Options
    Thanks for the pellet info, CT & @bettysnephew. How long do you rest cheese/bacon/fish after smoking? A week? Do you vac suck it for the resting period?

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I rest bacon 30 seconds before eating :)). I don't do anything else but bacon this way so I'll let the others chime in. I have heard that cheese is better after a rest but I cook the bacon right off the egg.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    otter said:
    I see no top cap, bottom vent wide open? When I did some last weekend it seemed like lots of white smoke. Will try and fry some today or tomorrow and see how it turned out.

Correct. No top, bottom wide open. This is different that the white smoke we avoid when hot smoking.
  • caliking
    Options
    *sigh*. Ordered. Should be here Thurs. I hate all of you.

I had heard that cheese needed a rest. I'll post up results when things get going. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @caliking I read that cheese should be vac sealed and in the fridge for 4-5 days. I did that and it was great. Not sure how needed the rest is or not.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Sports academy has pellets...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thanks for the post! Purchased...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    Options
    @DMW - that's what I thought I remembered. Thanks.

@henapple - who says you don't have moments of clarity? Academy is 5mins away. Thanks. 

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    @caliking we are all just a bunch of enablers around here. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • caliking
    Options
    @caliking we are all just a bunch of enablers around here. 
    Don't I know it. I only spent the money to buy my large. Everyone else spent the rest for me on the other eggs, accessories, etc. 

• otter
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    So true caliking...
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I ordered one and got a message back from the company that I should get the smoke tube instead because of the altitude on Colorado.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Very Nice Post - Bookmarked - i had issues in the past with mine going out . . . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • bettysnephew
    Options

caliking said:
    Thanks for the pellet info, CT & @bettysnephew. How long do you rest cheese/bacon/fish after smoking? A week? Do you vac suck it for the resting period?
    I vacuum wrap cheese and let sit in fridge for 2 weeks before eating.  Don't use SWMBO good refrigerator in the kitchen, not a nice reception after that one.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • henapple
    Options
    caliking said:

@DMW - that's what I th ought I remembered. Thanks.

@henapple - who says you don't have moments of clarity? Academy is 5mins away. Thanks. 
    I ordered some hickory off of amazon... I'll be smoking that #@& forever...
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Has anyone cold smoked some salmon- would be interested in the results
    Greensboro, NC
  • henapple
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

No but I will. I threw a few different things on Sunday... I'll see when I get home and egg this weekend.
  • billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    I frequently cold smoke salmon. Lately I have used alder chips to cold smoke salmon that I have brined for a couple of hours. After smoking, I vacuum pack individual servings to be sous vide cooked for 3.5 hours at 130F. Packages then go into an ice bath to chill down for storage in the refrigerator.
  • caliking
    Options
    @billybon - is it ready to eat after SV? or do you sear/grill it before serving?

• billybon
    billybon Posts: 213
    Options
    caliking said:
    @billybon - is it ready to eat after SV? or do you sear/grill it before serving?
    After it is chilled I put it in the refrigerator and eat it cold without a sear. If you have a SV set up you should give it a try. The salmon is pasturized at that point and can be kept for weeks in the refrigerator. Of course, in my house it never lasts that long.
  • Angus1978
    Options
    Funny ya'll should mention this....I ordered my A-maze-in pellet smoker this past weekend, and plan to do up some cheese and salmon Saturday....great minds fellas!
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • bettysnephew
    Options

Regarding pellets:

Traeger and most brands of apple and cherry pellets are a mix of oak/hardwood and flavoring or a %age of the flavor wood, not pure apple  or other, check the label.  I have gotten pure apple pellets from BBQr's Delight brand, but the largest size I found was 3 lb.  Don't really know if it makes all that much difference but just a heads up.  Personally I really cannot tell all that much taste differential of the smoke of the various oods.  Perhaps I am over smoking.  It still tastes good to me, just not that I can readily tell one from the other.

FYI:  I ran across a Q & A where Candy Sue of BBQr's Delight recommended NOT using 100% Apple for pellet smoking.  She related that the flavor is too strong for many things and it does not burn particularly well (which I think can leave an acrid taste).  She recommended using their Oak\Apple blend as it burns more consistently.  Nice to see an honest answer from a supplier that could just say use the more expensive product.  I would still use blends that are XX% flavorwood and XX% hardwood, not chemically enhanced flavorings.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options

What temp are you cold smoking? I would be afraid the meat would be in the danger zone for to long by cold moking. Do you cook the meats first. Educate me please

I thought you left this place??

XLBGE 
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Just received 20lbs of Belly from my dealer ready for another round!
    Lynnwood WA