Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First brisket cook results

Options
Cooked my first brisket this weekend. It was an 11 pound packer from SuperTarget. No grade markings, but it said Sterling Silver Premium Meats on the packaging.

It took 18.5 hours to get the flat tender, which ended up being about 185 dF (I think, I don't really trust my manual thermometer). I let it rest for about 30 minutes before slicing, it might have been too hot still. Here are some pictures I took.

On the Egg at 250 dome temp with a mix of pecan and hickory chunks. I doused it in worchestershire and rubbed with head country rub, kicked up with cayenne and red pepper flakes. I also coated generously in course ground black pepper after the head country.

Here it is right before I pulled it off.

I went to separate the point from the flat before slicing, but I couldn't really figure out where that was. Here is my knife where I thought it was.

The flat by itself (I think).

Sliced. I was a little disappointed in the lack of a smoke ring. I thought putting it on the Egg straight from the fridge would do it!
 It was pretty difficult to slice, not because it was tough, but because it was beginning to pull. Perhaps I overcooked? Is that possible with brisket?

Attempted to cube the point for burnt ends. It started to shred when I started slicing. I used some Wild Boar Sauce I made a week ago...Love that stuff. Turned out pretty tasty.

SWMBO made potato salad to go with it!

I went to put the brisket away for leftovers, but it started to shred, so I just went with it. Can't wait for brisket enchiladas!

Overall, turned out pretty good for my first brisket, in my opinion. SWMBO and our guest thought it was great, but I was a little disappointed in the slicing job I did; it was like slicing pulled pork! At least it's always fun trying again!

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate any suggestions for my next attempt!
- Proud owner of a Large BGE
- Norman, OK

Comments

• Texansurf
    Options
    Did you use any wood chips or chunks, or just the lump charcoal.  I have found that I need to use some wood chunks to get the smoke ring. 
    Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    edited November 2013
    Options
    I used 7 hickory chunks and 2 larger pecan chunks mixed throughout the lump.
    - Norman, OK
  • Texansurf
    Options

May not have had enough intense smoke at the beginning.  Typically I start with a pretty smokey egg, the ring only develops when the temp is below 140,  maybe next-time make a pile of the chunks in the middle.  Also I find the hickory will overwhelm the pecan.    If you can find oak that is a good balance with the pecan. 

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE x 2, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
  • Hoov
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions
    - Norman, OK
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Looks darn tasty from here :) If my first brisket had looked that good, i would have mastered them by now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jccbone62
    Options
    Nicely done. Smoke rings are hard to achieve at least for me anyway. You just have to find the right combination to get it. Maybe some of the more experience guys will leave a tip or two.
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • EggoMatic
    Options
    Well at least you didn't say it was dried out after you cooked it. Presentation is one thing, but eating good food is the final result. Nice cook and keep eggin!
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Congrats on your first brisket. Smoke ring is over rated and an aesthetic thing anyway, as long as it tastes good. I used to be able to get a good smoke ring on my stick burner and the first few briskets on my Egg. Can't seem to get one now days.

Sounds like you might have overcooked it a bit if it was falling apart. All you can do at that point is try to slice it thicker or chop it up for a sandwich (which can still be good).

Don't be too hard on yourself. A brisket is a hard cook and often we are our own worst critics. If the crowd loved it, that's all that matters. Grab another brisket and try again soon and apply the knowledge and experience you gained from your first one and this board.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    Looks good to me, appears to be juicier than most, and that without foiling.  I would say it's a success!  

I seem to have good luck getting a smoke ring, not sure why.  I usually use hickory, and a bit less than you used.  Could you taste the smoke?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Hoov
    Options
    Cookinbob said:

Looks good to me, appears to be juicier than most, and that without foiling.  I would say it's a success!  

I seem to have good luck getting a smoke ring, not sure why.  I usually use hickory, and a bit less than you used.  Could you taste the smoke?
    I don't think the smoke taste was that strong, really.
    - Norman, OK