Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small BGE - Raising the cooking grid?

Is there any advantage to cooking at gasket level?  I bought the small just to do direct cooks for burgers, steaks, chicken, etc...  Cooking below the gasket line is a bit difficult when it comes to flipping burgers.  Your thoughts?  Thanks!

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• See if CGS has a Woo for a small.  

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    edited November 2013
    imageEither raise it using 2 or 3 fire brick turned on their side topped with an auxiliary grate or buy a spatula with a bend in the blade making the burgers easier to retrieve. HTH
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    CGS does have a small woo. I use clay pot feet from Lowes. They come in sets of 3. Buy 2 packs and set 2 on top of each other at 3 points around the circle. 

2-1/2-in H x 3-in W x 1-1/2-in D Clay Red Clay Indoor/Outdoor Pot

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I have the woo and stone for my small. I was like you thinking nothing but quick and fast direct cooks but didn't like flipping down in the hole. Now with an indirect and raised direct way of cooking I use the small more than the large

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Woo and stone is the way to go.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    For the folks with the woo setup: can a wok sit on the grid?  I though I had read somewhere  that the woo handles get in the way. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • @caliking, yes the handles get in the way if you get the standard setup.  However you can call Tom @cgs and he can eliminate the handles on yours for no charge. On a side note I'm not sure how  good the small would be for woking as getting above 525-550 degrees most find difficult on the small with such a small lower vent to intake the air. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.