Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Winter is coming, better make some chili

Options
Decided to use a combination of @egret chili with the one @Budgeezer posted a while back with a few alterations of my own. It's just getting warmed up. Can't wait to try my first Egg'd chili.
LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Hope you enjoy it @Greeno55. You should make some jalepeno cornbread to go with it.

Is the wind blowing as hard at your place as it is here?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    No, it's not too bad here, hovering just above freezing. But I am being reminded how little time I have left to put up my little Egg Shack to keep me out of the elements.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Looks very good. Bonus points for the BEANS. :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Budgeezer
    Options
    Looks great!
    Edina, MN

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    @bud812 - I agree. But I bet there are a whole lot of people on here who would argue with is about that.
  • Greeno55
    Options
    All done, and am very happy with it. Next time I'll try floating the dried chilies on the top though for a bit more heat. Others in the house disagree with that though. Oh well, more for me next time. :D
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    that looks good. 

were you able to remove the soot/char from your DO? I almost pulled the trigger on an enamel coated  DO but ended up with a regular CI. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Greeno55
    edited November 2013
    Options
    @GATABITES - I was absolutely blown away by how easy it was to clean. I wiped about 98% of all the gunk out of the inside with a dry paper towel, and the rest wiped off super easy with a bit of soap. The outside cleaned relatively easily. It's not quite a bright red as it was brand new though.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Options
    bud812 said:

So you are saying you are NOT from Texas.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    bud812 said:
    I was putting carrots, tomatoes and peas in my AUTHENTIC New England Clam Chowder this evening and wondered what all the fuss is about regarding beans in chili.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Options
    Hey now...I put beans in mine...and I was conceived, born, and raised in the great state of Texas!  I wanted to comment that the floating chilis add heat for sure!  Also wanted to add that the enameled CI cleans pretty easy, but the cooked on smoke will require some bar keepers friend to remove easily.  Can't use any abrasive compound or sponge on the coated CI. 
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    txav8r said:
    Hey now...I put beans in mine...and I was conceived, born, and raised in the great state of Texas!  I wanted to comment that the floating chilis add heat for sure!  Also wanted to add that the enameled CI cleans pretty easy, but the cooked on smoke will require some bar keepers friend to remove easily.  Can't use any abrasive compound or sponge on the coated CI. 
    I use BKF and the Le Creuset cleaner on mine. They are both slightly abrasive but fine. I scrub with a Scotch Brite green pad. 

Sorry about your bean problem. Don't tell VI where you live...