Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Oysters

Options

Comments

• jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Options
    Hot and fast indirect.  Best way to avoid breaking the shells and overcooking the meat.
  • oakdaleegger
    Options
    Good question. Not sure I've ever had a smoked oyster.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

Sometimes I just place the whole oyster on direct around 300-350 and when they loosen up I pop and eat.  Or you can pop them by hand and make a mixture of spinach, parmesan cheese, lemon juice and cook the half shell direct until they just start to curl. Or you can do like my friend Frank from Houma does.

Oysters, Grilled, Drago, Charbroiled

Charbroiled a few oysters tonight

INGREDIENTS:
    2-3 Dozen Oysters, 1/2 Shell
    2 Lbs Butter, Melted
    1/2 cup Chopped garlic,
    1 Tbs Black pepper, and
    1 Tbs Italian seasoning.
    Parmesan Cheese
    Parsley, Chopped

PROCEDURE:

1. Stabilized the egg at 250 dome and put the oysters on as fast I could then poured the butter mixture over them and closed the dome (flamed up pretty good just like you want it to). After a few minutes moved the oysters around to get the flames lickin the shells. When the were done loaded them up with grated parsesan, romano cheese and chopped parsley - closed the dome for about a minute to let the cheese melt. Paired with a bottle of La Famiglia Pinot Grigio - mighty fine.

2. Saving the shells so the next time I can buy them already shucked.

Recipe Type: Appetizer, Seafood

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Frank in Houma, 2008/01/08