Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo brisket?

I have done a turbo pork butt before but has anyone ever done a turbo brisket? Kind of have a craving for some brisket but don't have 24 hours to cook one
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited November 2013
    I did one once (pre-BGE era)  and so far its been the best brisket I have been able to make. 350°, drum smoker, foiled at 160ish, pulled when a probe went into the flat like a hot knife through butter.

I prefer the lo n slo method, but turbo can't be beat for the savings in time.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    Try searching here or on google with "turbo brisket and big green egg" in your query.  I know it has been successfully done but I am not in the "turbo camp" so no help there.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    caliking said:

I did one once (pre-BGE era)  and so far its been the best brisket I have been able to make. 350°, drum smoker, foiled at 160ish, pulled when a probe went into the flat like a hot knife through butter.

I prefer the lo n slo method, but turbo can't be beat for the savings in time.
    I did a packer brisket last week pretty much like this and it was great. I probably let mine go a little past 160 before foil. I will definitely do it again.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • I cook most of my brisket at 300 (ish) dome temp. Less than 1 hour per lb. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • So at 160 foil and pull off the egg?
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600

So at 160 foil and pull off the egg?

No foil and put back on the smoker until around 195/205 then towel to cooler

Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Foiled at 160, then let it cook until the flat probes like butter. IT in the flat would be about 195-205° when you pull it off the egg. The feel is more important than the temp. I probe with an ice pick, but folks use their thermapen, roofing nails, etc to judge how it probes.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Great thanks for all the info everyone
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    I got schooled at a place in Lano, TX. What ever temp you need to get it gone in 6 hours. Foil at 145 till done.
    All the briskets I did before this got dried out. Briskets are already lean and to keep it on the egg for 15+ hours to me is going to dry it out.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig