Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Stuffed pork loin

I did this a few days ago, everybody said they liked it so here goes.

I took a nice center cut of pork loin about ten inches long. Trimmed it of all excess fat. Cut off two 1/2 inch thick chops from this and set aside. then, with a long slicing knife I cut the loin in a spiral fashion and rolled it out. I wish I would have taken a pic at this point but I forgot. After you have it sliced spirally flatten it with a tenderizer to about 1/2 inch thick. Next I applied a liberal coating of rub followed by a mixture of olive oil, minced garlic and minced chipotle peppers with adobo sauce. I applied this "wall to wall" The more chipotle and adobo the hotter it will be.Then a layer of fresh baby spinach followed by a layer of applewood smoked ham.

The next step is a layer of alpine swiss cheese followed by some smoked sharp cheddar cheese

Next I rolled it all up. Start with a short end like in from right to left.
Now cover the whole thing with bacon. 
Tie the roll in about four places with string. Take the two chops and place them on the ends and tie the roast horizontally to hold them in place.
I place these chops so the cheese doesn't ooze out while cooking.

imageimage
Throw some more rub all over it
I cooked mine indirect with a drip pan at about 350 as measured by a Maverick right on the grate.
I took it off at 150 degrees and let it sit about twenty minutes. I used bourbon barrel bungs for smoke.
And this is what I ended up with

imageimage

·

Comments

• Excellent job! You have all kinds of flavors going on there. I did one last year with cornbread stuffing and cranberries which came out pretty good. Thanks for the post.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    ·
  • warwomanwarwoman Posts: 227
    Wow! Great looking cook. I've been sorta hesitant to add much more than a couple of things to the pork loin, but not after seeing this! Thanks!!
    From the NE Georgia Mountains! Me, SWMBO, and two spoiled ass Springers!
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774
    Great idea putting the chops at the ends. Looks great.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • Eggcellent! I'm thinking of doing something like this for Thanksgiving this year, bookmarked
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 510
    Sweet mercy... That looks good!
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
  • Looks great!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,092
    Looks great, just picked one up and will be trying my first stuffed pork loin tonight.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • HDumptyEsqHDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    I bought one of those honking great pork loins from Costco - about 3 feet long for a measly $19.38. I cut one end into a roast (egged last weekend) cut six thick chops from the other (in freezer for future use). Here's the center cut - with sage and onion stuffing, rolled, tied and put on the egg last night - 350 PS legs up, on the grate for 2 hours. Parsnip mashed taters, sautéed brussels sprouts and a cider beurre blanc to go with. Yummo!!image
    pork 1.jpg 574.7K
    pork 2.jpg 603.3K
    pork 3.jpg 771.2K
    pork 4.jpg 563.4K
    pork 5.jpg 614.6K
    pork 6.jpg 726.4K
    pork 7.jpg 603.6K

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

·