Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread flour?

Options
Just curious is bread flour any better than all purpose flour for making pizza dough? I can't get 00 flour down here on the rock so id figure id try bread flour?

I guess I could pay the $56.00 shipping for a 5lb bag of 00 flour and amazon but I don't want my wife to kill me lol!!!!

Thanks

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    AP and bread flour will give you similar results. You will need to bake your pies at a lower temperature than dough made with OO flour. Unbleached flour is preferable. I do not add sugar. Some people like to add milk powder to the dough, they say it results in a softer dough but I personally do not like it. You may be able to purchase pizza flour from local pizzerias. I can get Antimo Caputto OO red bags flour locally for under 3$ per 1 kg bag. Not sure how much the shipping would be (I am in Ottawa) but if you are desperate, I can check. It took me years to find the dough recipe with the texture I was looking for... OO flour, water (65% hydration), yeast and salt.

Options
    I just ordered 5lbs of OO Caputo flour today on amazon and the shipping was only $7.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    If you want to do some experimenting, mix 1 part pastry flour with 3 parts all purpose to make a substitute 00. I haven't tried this but I'm going to.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • baychilla
    Options
    I thought the difference between bread flour, ap and pasty was the amount of gluten produced with bread having more and flour for bread machines the most while pastry produces the least?  If this is the case wouldn't mixing pastry+ap flour give you less gluten than even normal ap?
    Near San Francisco in California
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Yes.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    Lit said:
    I just ordered 5lbs of OO Caputo flour today on amazon and the shipping was only $7.
    With Prime it ships free. I like using the 00 flour for pizza. It comes in 1 kg bags which is convenient for some recipes. The Italian 00 from Amazon Prime is cheaper than ordering King Arthur 00 from the KA website.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

Lit said:

With Prime it ships free. I like using the 00 flour for pizza. It comes in 1 kg bags which is convenient for some recipes. The Italian 00 from Amazon Prime is cheaper than ordering King Arthur 00 from the KA website.

Canman1976 lives in Canada and flour is not sold on Amazon.ca