Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here

Half Fire Ring for the Large EGG

Heyyy!
We purchased our LGE in July and are a newbie to the EGG community, and will be doing a turkey for the annual TG conclave.
To prepare, I purchased a cheapie 13# frozen turkey to cook as a test. (Hated to cook my first one for Thanksgiving and screw up)
The turkey test turned great; only I cooked it on the "Vertical Turkey Roaster" and it barely fit in the BGE. The processor left a 1 1/2" neck stub.
I used a plate setter, legs up, without the grate and the neck was visible in the upper metal vent. The bird turned out great (photo attached) internal temp at the thigh was 168 F, in 2hrs and 20 min.

My question; Would the cooking temp. and time change If I used a 1/2 fire ring? I would like to cook a larger bird for the T-Giving holiday,

2013-11-07 13.33.51.jpg
1840 x 3264 - 1M

Comments