Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar and Granite

Since I was able to get tons of ideas and inspiration for those of you on this site, I thought I'd put mine on and hopefully be able to do the same in return for someone else.  This new home for my Large Egg is many years coming.  I have owned my Egg for about 8 years and have always wanted to have a permanent home for it.  I had a simple Whiz Style table since I got the egg so I have had plenty of time to determine what I wanted in a cabinet.  The biggest things I wanted were charcoal storage, shelves for my plate setter, grates, extensions etc., and a drawer for all of my tools, all of it weatherproof.  After pouring our patio last fall, I had all winter to plan how I wanted to lay it out.  I built my patio furniture first and was glad I did.  By the time I got to my Egg cabinet, my woodworking skills were polished up and I'm really happy how it turned out.  The granite was a remnant piece I picked up for $200.  I had to cut it myself and managed to crack it around the cutout.  I got it epoxied back together and it only shows behind the hinge so I'm not too broke up about it.  As you can see from the "production pics" I had help from my dad and my son.  Fortunately dad has all the "good tools" and the space to build indoors.  The 4x4's I used were all recycled from shipping pallets.  I used cedar carsiding for the cabinet exterior and 1x4's and 1x3's for the doors and trim.  Since I took these photos I added handles and magnetic latches to all of the doors.  Having 6 feet of working space is AWESOME!  Especially for those summer nights when I'm doing pizzas for a large group of friends.  I can cook and serve all on the same surface.  Overall, I'm very proud of my cabinet and I'm glad I took plenty of time to design and build it just how I wanted it. 

Sioux Center, IA

Comments

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    Congrats on a great table. That is what I'm thinking about building
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Looks great!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Wow very nice setup. Looks like you will have that table a long time.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    edited November 2013
    Wow! Beautiful! Looks like you got the young man to start learning already, something most parents take for granted these day is teaching kids the things we were all taught at a young age. Bravo sir
    Beaufort, SC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Beautiful work!  Plenty of space for another egg when the time comes ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Well Done! I'm a big fan of that hot tub your hiding behind the egg!
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Awesome table! Great job. ^:)^

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    Absolutely gorgeous table! I see you also have one of the Weber Q-Grills - they are great little buggers, aren't they?
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Helmet said:
    Absolutely gorgeous table! I see you also have one of the Weber Q-Grills - they are great little buggers, aren't they?

Thanks Helmet.  I love my Egg but sometimes if I need to do some bacon or a hot dog or two and don't have much time, my little Weber Q does the trick.  I took the family on vacation last summer (I have 5 kids) and to help keep the food cost down, I threw the Weber Q in the back of the Yukon.  $15 to grill vs $80-$100 to eat out was a pretty simple choice and probably had better food. 

Sioux Center, IA

• Helmet
    Helmet Posts: 163
    I use mine for the same kinds of things. I actually bought it as a boating grill (nice and small and portable) for burgers and dogs at the sandbar, but I've ended up using it for camping trips and at the house a lot more than I ever would have guessed. I actually like it a lot better than my Weber Genesis Silver - to the point that I'm going to sell my genesis because between the egg and the Weber Q I'm pretty much covered. 
    Medium BGE, Weber Q120 (The traveller)
    "I claim artistic license, it has a good beat, I can dance to it"
  • Looks pretty nice. Any egg would be proud to live where your's does. Enjoy, and don't forget to give a nice bonus to the project helper. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • txav8r
    txav8r Posts: 153
    Very nice indeed!  I too am planning (have been since before I bought the egg) an egg table nest.  I broke down and bought a used rolling nest to use until I could become more focused on what I wanted and needed.  I really would like to cut and polish the granite for mine due to cost, but I think buying tools to do so may increase, not decrease the cost.  How did you cut it?  Once again, nice work!
    Just far enough north of DFW to be "rural"...and close enough to be urban, depending on my mood.
  • txav8r said:
    Very nice indeed!  I too am planning (have been since before I bought the egg) an egg table nest.  I broke down and bought a used rolling nest to use until I could become more focused on what I wanted and needed.  I really would like to cut and polish the granite for mine due to cost, but I think buying tools to do so may increase, not decrease the cost.  How did you cut it?  Once again, nice work!
    I cut it using an OLD circular saw with a wet/dry diamond blade.  If I had it to do over again, I would probably pay the fabricator to cut it for me.  The granite slabs come polished on one side.  You can polish the edges yourself with diamond sandpaper and get it done fairly cheap.  Since my slab is light colored I didn't even bother to polish the edges.  You can't tell that they aren't.  If the slab was dark it would be a different story.   

Sioux Center, IA

• CP92
    CP92 Posts: 318
    Super nice.  Way jealous.
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD