Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

'Fused' gasket?

berndcrispberndcrisp Posts: 774
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Did a clean burn in the mini yesterday. I cannot open the dome and it appears as though the gasket(s) have fused together. I tried a stiff putty knife and hammer to no avail and quit before I had to use excessive force. Do you think that top loading hot lump will loosen it? These are the original gaskets.
Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

Comments

• RRPRRP Posts: 16,120
    Hammer??? Never use a hammer on an egg! Your best bet is a putty knife and work it in and around until it frees up. BTW most likely your gasket is toast anyway.
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,226
    Never had this myself, but have head of loading through the ash door and lighting a fire there to heat it up and getting it to release.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
  • Seanr7Seanr7 Posts: 207
    So, would aluminum foil between the gaskets keep this from happening in a clean burn?
    XL BGE
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,130
    Did you have the older gaskets (darker color)? They melt pretty easily. Call the mothership and they will send you a new set, unless you want the Rutland gasket from RRP.

If the gasket fused then you probably need a more than just a starter cubes worth of heat in there. Light up a chimney of lump and start dropping in pieces from the top or build a fire from the bottom intake. I don't know if the base will tolerate lump directly on it though.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thank you all. I got it open with a very sharp knife. There were about 5 spots where grease or food glops glued it shut. 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!