Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet mignon tail pic

krobertsmsn
krobertsmsn Posts: 655
edited November 2013 in EggHead Forum
Tonight's dinner was a first. I have never had filet tails. I salt and peppered them. I seared in avocado oil (due to high smoke point) and placed in 400 degree oven for a few short minutes to medium temp. I served with roasted asparagus and new potatoes. The drink of choice tonight was Zerba Barbera, delicious red wine. I am a fan of the tails and will def do again.They tasted wonderful, were very tender and hubby was pleased!

For the life of me I can't figure out why my pics keep turning sideways!!
LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
Rome, GA

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    That looks great.  Where does one get a filet tail?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Looks great. What exactly is a FM tail? the end of it, posteriorly, or aft?

Did not know there was a big difference in flavor/taste.

BTW, I-Crap is prolly responsible for your "drunken" pics.  :D

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    edited November 2013
    I wanted to try aged beef so I ordered from Flannery's online. They have a section called "helluva deal". There are several good deals (I think) and the FM tails were listed. I thought I'd give them a try and was impressed. I feel like the value is there, given that they are much less expensive than the usual FM. I rec you try them. They are best served this way (chateaubraind style) per Bryan Flannery. 

The tail is exactly that-the end but not sure about WHICH end. It's the part that they cant get a "perfect" filet from so they sell as tails

I also snagged wagyu sliders which I can eats as-is, double (2.5 oz apiece) to a reg burger, make meatloaf etc.

I think pic issue MIGHT be that I turn phone vertically to take pics sometimes. Both sets I have posted recently were done that way.I bet if I keep horizontally, I will end upright!!!
    Rome, GA
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Filet Mignon is the small end of the tenderloin primal anyway (the end toward the head - the tenderloin gets bigger as it moves to the rear).  The small "tail" appears to be the piece that some places cut double-width and then butterfly to get a decent diameter filet mignon.  That piece is arguably the best part of the primal so to be able to pick it up at a bargain price is fantastic!

Look at the "beef cuts" diagram to get an idea where the tail is:
  • Thanks for the clarification @New2Q. The tails ARE very delicious and I am a huge fan. It will be on my list ever ytime I purchase 
    Rome, GA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Never heard of tails, but I would definitely take a plate like that. Bravo!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    We always buy whole terderloin at Costco. Cut the big end into steaks and cut the tail as piece by itself. Good job.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • @billyray, @ caliking, thanks! :-)
    Rome, GA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited November 2013
    It looks wonderful!  

It will make uploading iphone pictures easier if you always take them with the phone turned sideways with the home button to the right (volume buttons down).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• the photos are only sideways until you click on them then they turn the right way when it's inlarged
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.