Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another cook that was WAY too smokey

I've had two or three cooks lately that have been too smokey. I cooked moinks last night and I literally couldn't rotate them do to the level of smoke. When I opened the top of the bge smoke wouldn't even clear after a minute...Smoke pouring from the bottom vent, and billowing out of the top at all times during the cook. I like a nicey smokey flavor but this is killing the food...Did I get a bad bag of lump? Any suggestions? I've never experienced this in the last six months.

Comments

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Did you use a drip pan? Direct or indirect? I find greasy things like moink balls need a drip pan and an indirect piece.Let the VOC's burn off too for at least 30min to 45 min.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    What lump are you using? How are you lighting, waiting, etc? Should be lots of similar posts on the forum...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The cooks I've had too much smoke from are both direct and indirect. I typically light two places with my electric and then wait 15. What bothers me is that this is the same ting I've been doing for six months but with completely different results.