Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I can't stop making pizza on the egg (pics)

Options
Loving pizza on the egg.

Homemade dough -yeast, honey, 00 flour, kosher salt. Made the night before.

Simple pie - mozz (sliced from a ball of mozz) pepperoni onion. One cheese pie

600 indirect feet down. 10 mins or so. Some kosher salt on top after pulling from egg. A chef buddy of mine says to do that to pull out more flavor from the mozz.

So darn good.

Comments

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Nice pies! I like them on the egg too.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    Egg pizza is awesome! Quality cheese and a homemade dough make all the difference. I don't know what you use for sauce but it's super easy to make yourself, and you can really change your flavor profiles with very little changes to your recipe.
  • Jebpot
    Jebpot Posts: 374
    Options
    Looks great. Thanks for sharing.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

• anez
    anez Posts: 150
    Options
    Been looking for a good sauce recipe. This was a can of San marzano tomato sauce. Was pretty tasty.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Options
    We love us some sweet sauce!

(1)   28oz can of crushed San Marzano Tomatoes
     1/4   Cup wine (white, red, whatever)
       2    Garlic cloves chopped
     1/2   of a medium sized sweet onion
       2    Tbsp EVOO
       1    pinch sea salt
       1    pinch table ground pepper (black or white)
       1    Tbsp of sugar
             Dust top with dried oregano
             Dust top with fresh ground parmesan and/or pecorino remano

Start reducing wine and add garlic, let it reduce a little more. Add the oil and onion. Once the onion is tender add the rest of the ingredients and let simmer for a minimum of 25 mins. Sauce leftovers freeze well.

Their are lots of folks though that enjoy simple 3 ingredient recipes of tomatoes, basil, and salt. It has a fresh and natural taste if you prefer.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try fresh sliced tomatoes sprinkled with basil..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Oh, roma tomatoes are meatier with less juice
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • rmhendoo
    Options
    Nice pizza...I have yet to take that on yet. Can it be done without a pizza stone? I have a place setter.
  • anez
    Options
    Thanks Brownie, i'll try that. sounds good.

rmhendoo - i think you'll need a stone. i put mine on top of the place setter with a few rolled up balls of tin foil in between.

• ChuckChampion
    Options
    Pizza looks delicious.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a bad problem to have at all.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice. San Marzano tomatoes make great sauce. How did you like the crust? I had mediocre results with 00 flour the last time, but I think I wasn't cooking hot enough.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • anez
    Options
    thought the crust was perfect. these came out pretty thin, the way i like it, but weren't overly crunchy like a cracker. best ones i've made so far.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Looks like you got great char on the bottom and top. Nice cook, I love pizza on the Egg! What purpose does the honey (sugar) serve in pizza dough? I've always just done flour, water, salt, yeast, but am always looking to improve!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • anez
    Options
    A buddy of mine who's a chef gave me his dough recipe and it's been working great. I put the honey in with yeast and a 1 1/2 cups of room temp water. the sugar in the honey helps proof the yeast.

here's his recipe that i've been using. it's pretty simple but great:
    In the bowl of a mixer, add...1.5 C Water (Room temp - not cool, but def not hot) 1 Tablespoon Honey 1 Tablespoon or 1 Packet Active Dry Yeast (or Rapid Rise Yeast)- Mix this items in a bowl and let them sit for 10 minutes or so. This proofs the yeast. You'll know it's working because the yeast will begin eating the sugar in the honey and bubbles will begin forming in the water.Then add... 3.5 C Flour (AP, Bread, or 00) 1 teaspon Kosher SaltTurn the mixer on and let it go until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl and the bowl is pretty clean.In another bowl, add a little bit of oil (olive or canola) - 2 Tablespoons or so - and scrape the dough from the first bowl into the second. Flip the dough over so that it is coated in oil - this prevents it from sticking later.Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit in a warmish place with no drafts for an hour or so - the dough will double in size in the bowl.Turn that dough out onto a floured surface and fold it over onto itself so that it is coated with flour - this is so that it won't stick when your working with it.Weigh 11oz pieces of dough - this recipe will yield 3 of them - and roll them into a ball on the counter. If they stick, add a sprinkle of flour. Portion these balls into 3 plastic bags or deli cups with lids.At this point, they are ready to use. But, if you put them in the fridge or the freezer, the yeast will continue to develop the dough, and that is when you get some really kick ass crust. I let mine go for a few days in the fridge, but any unused portions, I freeze. They'll keep in the freezer for a long time, and you just need to pull them out a day or so in advance and keep in the fridge until you use them.