Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken with Mystery Rub

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
While the cheese was smoking, started thinking about dinner tonight. We were planning leftovers from this week, but SWMBO and I realized not enough for everyone. So needed something quick and easy. 
Spatchcock chicken to the rescue. This was an about 7lb bird. Did it raised direct at around 400*, took about 1 1/2 hrs. The rub was something I had made and put in the cupboard but not labeled. I have no idea what it was, but turned out great. Had potatoes in a pan below the bird, some of the best potatoes I have had. Seasoned with the rub and chicken fat dripping down. Chicken stock cooking down now.

They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    That looks great! I love doing a pan of potatoes under poultry. I've never made my own stock. Would you mind explaining a bit more about it? What did you start it with? The backbone and maybe wingtips?
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The stock was just the backbone, gibblets, celery and some salt/pepper with water covering it. Simmer it for a few hours, making sure to re add water if needed to keep it from burning. Let it cool, then strain it and the liquid is chicken stock. Freeze and it will last for quite awhile.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    Thanks, that doesn't sound complicated!
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK