Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guru for 300++?

Options
Hey guys..

I know the Guru (or Stoker) is good for low and slow, but how many of you use a Guru or Stoker for 300+ degree cooks?

Can I reliably use the Guru for 350 or 400 degree cooks?

I'm also curious if it can help with startup so I don't have to leave the lower vent open..could I use my electric starter with the dome open, Guru fan on to get it started?  Or do I have to wait for the lump to get going, THEN put the Guru in?

Thanks..and apologies for the noobie questions!

SB
Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    I don't have a Guru but I do have a Stoker which I use at 350 fairly often and it works great. The Stoker temp sensors shouldn't be used above 450 (max temp for the Teflon coated wires). Keep in mind that It's a good idea to shield the wires of any probes/sensors from direct heat.

Using an electric starter at the same time as a draft controller sounds like an increased risk of melting the starter as the blower would stoke the fire hotter and faster than normal. I'd think the approach would work better with fire starter cubes. Personally I get the fire stabilized before hooking up the Stoker.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA