Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chilli cooking question

I have cooked Cowlick chilli a few times and it comes out great.  I got a question on my method though. 

In the past I have cooked the meat first in the DO on the open flame then removed the DO inserted the indirect piece and got the egg stabilized at ~350 for the rest of the cook.  Is this right or do you cook the Chilli direct only?

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Also if cooking with the indirect stone - do you cook right on top of it or elevated off of the stone.

Garnerville, NY
  • If the Chili turns out great.  You're doing it right.  That's one of those things where all of the above are correct if it is what works for you.

I place the DO on the plate setter with legs down.  I think I am going to place the feet under it next time.  I had a little scorching on the bottom of my DO last time, and I think the feet will help prevent that.  I think I also need to cool the Egg down a little bit.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • I don't think you gain anything by doing the browning and stuff on the egg. Put it together in the kitchen and out to the egg for the cooking. Indirect with spacers to prevent the bottom from scorching. Smoking wood enhances the flavor.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• I made some last Sunday and put the DO right on the plate setter legs up. Browned the meat using cherry and pecan chunks and it really came out well. The meat had a nice smoky taste which was what I was after. Drained the grease, added everything else and simmered for 2 hours. Will do it again soon.
    Cherry Hill, NJ
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    I do platesetter legs up with the porcelain grate on the legs and the DO on the grate.   Works good for me but what do I know  :))
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I did a beef stew last night, setup the PS legs down, DO right on the PS. My DO has legs, so there was an airgap. Had trouble browning the meat like this, so moved it over to the gasser for browning, then back to the egg to simmer and cook down and most of the cook.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    If you want really good chili smoke a brisket first, chop it up and put it all together in a dutch oven. I go platesetter legs up and spacers between DO and PS. Otherwise there is no advantage to browning the meat on the egg. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Could you set the grid on top of the legs-down platesetter and the DO on top of that?  Would give a small gap between PS and DO.  

I am liking the idea of smoking and chopping the beef before adding to the chili - it has to add flavor.  Maybe rub with some good chili powder.  Yes? No?
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Last time I rested the DO on the 3 BGE feet and plate setter legs up. Browning meat went as expected. And the rest went great. Nice smoke flavor. image
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    @hotch, looks guuuud
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • Mine is purring away

photo 005-9.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GreenhawK said:
    If the Chili turns out great.  You're doing it right.  That's one of those things where all of the above are correct if it is what works for you.

There is only ONE rule that applies to chili, and that rule has been covered many times.  If you don't know that rule, ask any Texan.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited November 2013
    What kind of BEANS to add? There are so many choices, black, pinto, chili, northern white etc... :))

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Love me some beans in my chili :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hotch
    Nice touch with the hot bottle caps
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481

Mine is purring away

photo 005-9.jpg

Looks delicious, whats your recipe?
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited November 2013

Recipe? Recipe? We don't need no stinking recipe! Ok. Stewing beef, chuck roast cut into 2" pieces, ground beef, ground pork, ground veal, tomato paste, san marzano tomatoes, clamatto juice, ancho chili powder, tex mex on the beef, jalapenos sauteed, four buds of garlic roasted on the egg, cumin, red and green bell peppers, onions, celery,  pepper, beef stock, Kilkenny Irish ale...two pints, ancho chilis dried and poblanos dried. Tomorrow I'll add some more bell peppers and rosemary, thyme and sage. If it's too thin I'll add some dehydrated onion.

And BEANS

photo 004-9.jpg

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    edited November 2013

wing beef, chuck roast cut into 2" pieces, ground beef, ground pork, ground veal, tomato paste, san marzano tomatoes, clamatto juice, ancho chili powder, tex mex on the beef, jalapenos sauteed, four buds of garlic roasted on the egg, cumin, red and green bell peppers, onions, celery,  pepper, beef stock, Kilkenny Irish ale...two pints, ancho chilis dried and poblanos dried. Tomorrow I'll add some more bell peppers and rosemary, thyme and sage. If it's too thin I'll add some dehydrated onion.

And BEANS

You get all of that into this one pot?

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Hotch
    That's a great lookin beef stew.
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Chili with beans, I like it, but l like it without beans also.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper about Penny's chili with beans:   "This is good, I don't know what it is, bur it's good."

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660

GreenhawK said:

If the Chili turns out great.  You're doing it right.  That's one of those things where all of the above are correct if it is what works for you.

There is only ONE rule that applies to chili, and that rule has been covered many times.  If you don't know that rule, ask any Texan.

What's the rule?