Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Binchotan

Has anybody used Binchotan charcoal ?

It burns very hot and seems it would be excellent in stir fry and hot grilling.  It's expensive though.
I'm just wondering if anyone has used it and what their impression is.  TIA.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
Just west of Austintatious

Comments

• calikingcaliking Posts: 7,127
    From what I know it is very dense and hard to light but burns virtually smokeless. I've seen pictures of it being used in small applications usually small table top grills indoors it's also very expensive and hard to find. I would love to see what you do with it if you have any.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,483
    from what i read its smokeless, burns longer, but not as hot as most lumps. im thinking it would be more suited for desserts
  • JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 2,701
    I have never seen it in Georgia.

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014 
    Founding Member of the Green Man Group cooking team.
    Johns Creek, Georgia

• CookinbobCookinbob Posts: 1,551
    There is a fairly high end restaurant here in town that has a Japanese robata grill that burns Binchotan for a "clean slightly smoky flavor". Supposedly flame and smoke free, and hotter than conventional charcoal (which may mean briquettes) from what I have read.  They do tapas on it.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY