Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Rubs

Has anyone used the Big Green Egg rubs? I think they are a bit pricey and was wondering if they are worth it.
Easley SC Go! Tigers

Comments

• Tossed mine.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    The dizzy gourmet is what you want from BGE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Just picked up some Dizzy Gourmet Cosmic Cow last week. Was traveling over the weekend so I didn't get to try it out yet. It's twice the price but you are getting bigger bottle than the regular Dizzy Pig seasonings. They have taster bottles at my BGE dealer which is what helped me justify it. Sometimes I'm willing to pay a little more.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    I tried the sweet maple one. It sucks. It seems to "melt" when applied to anything. Ribs, chicken, the moisture off of them just turns it to goo.
    NW IOWA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Just out of curiosity, why would one pay more for the Dizzy Gourmet rubs vs. the regular DP rubs? Any difference? Or is it to save on shipping from DP?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BGE rubs are made by dizzy pig so to me they are over priced Dizzy pig rubs
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • minniemoh
    I bought Cosmic Cow because it had a different taste than the other DP seasonings - one that I liked better. I figure I'm putting it on an expensive steak and I can use it dozens and dozens of times. What's another dime per steak spent on seasoning if the steak cost $10+ per lb. 

Just my thoughts...
    eggAddict from MN!
  • If'n you can't get DP then use BGE Dizzy Rubs; if'n you can use DP exclusively
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I know the BGE bottle size is larger. If you store charges a premium for DP, the BGE ones are a better value
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Well, the BGE dealer is considerably closer than the one place that sells DP. What are the equivalents for the DP rubs in the Dizzy Gourmet line? Is Cosmic Cow the same as Cowlick?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • minniemoh
    caliking said:
    Well, the BGE dealer is considerably closer than the one place that sells DP. What are the equivalents for the DP rubs in the Dizzy Gourmet line? Is Cosmic Cow the same as Cowlick?
    The Dizzy Gourmet Cosmic Cow that I have is 11.7oz and the Cow Lick is 8.0 oz. 

The Cosmic Cow has a little more heat to it and a little different taste than Cow Lick. The ingredient list consists of pepper, salt, "spices", onion, and garlic for both bottles.
    eggAddict from MN!
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Call it what you want............Cross-marketing, re-branding.
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    When i bought my egg, I picked up some the the whirly bird for 18.95. It was pretty good but I haven't bought anymore since running out a month or so ago. 

From the BGE webpage:

Whirly Bird™
    Sweet and spicy delight

A clever blend of herbs, spices, citrus, garlic and pure maple sugar adds intrigue to fowl, fish, meats and veggies alike! Fresh herbs and spices combined with citrus, a bit of garlic and pure maple sugar deliver an unforgettable taste sensation!

Ingredients: spices, demerara sugar, salt, garlic, onion, maple sugar, orange peel, lemon peel.
    Item Code: DGWB

XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • I have used obie cue for http://www.obiecue.com 13 years and have great taste and luck 
     Obie-Cue's Texas Spice. 
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • TMay
    TMay Posts: 87
    edited November 2013
    I have used obie cue for http://www.obiecue.com 13 years and have great taste and luck 
     Obie-Cue's Texas Spice. 

Obie Q is good stuff... I use his steakmaker, Yankee Blaster and Sooth Moove...
    Rowlett, Texas
  • TMay said:
    I have used obie cue for http://www.obiecue.com 13 years and have great taste and luck 
     Obie-Cue's Texas Spice. 

Obie Q is good stuff... I use his steakmaker, Yankee Blaster and Sooth Moove...
    Love His BBQ bomber and sweet and heat

Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I've tried 3 of them. I don't think they are bad, but I wouldn't get them again, I like the regular Dizzy Pig stuff more. I would consider them if the store didn't stock Dizzy Pig and I needed something that day.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • If you watch Ebay and Amazon you will at times find deals on the rubs.  If you are a member of Amazon Prime they offer free shipping.  Deals are not always good but once in a while something will pop up.

Coral Springs, Florida- Dimitrious

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I prefer to make my own rubs for a couple of reasons.
    One, I will use less salt than most commercially made rubs(trying to cut down on sodium for my blood pressure)
    Two, I keep a well stocked spice rack, so I use it.
    Three, I bet my rubs cost me less money.
    For my cayenne pepper powder, I grow and dry my own cayenne's.
    I also roast my own chili powder.
    I know there is no MSG in my rubs.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.